Huge air bubble when toilet is flushed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybermudez00

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. New to the forum with a curious situation. I live on the first floor of a two family house I bought five years ago. About a month and a half ago I’ve noticed air bubbles coming from my bathroom toilet
when being flushed. I didn’t think nothing of it until the bubbles were splashing water out of the toilet. This can get very messy if someone does a number 2. This doesn’t happen in any others toilet in the house. There is a toilet in the basement and 2 in the upstairs apartment. So I hired a plumber to come and check it out and they snaked the line and said it was clear. But could not figure out what was causing the air when you flushed. Has anyone experienced anything like this and what possible causes and resolutions. I’m going to hire someone else to look at it but would like to give them some ideas if they haven’t seen this before. I took some videos to show the air coming up when flushing the toilet. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5269.MOV
    12.8 MB
  • IMG_5271.MOV
    24.5 MB
Have you run an auger through it,i would clean the holes under the rim and the small hole i. The bowl what brand toilet is it i can only see one video the name should be printed on the bowl behind the seat.ball up toilet paper, flush with paper about 1/2 dozen times could be something in the toilet, paper will hang up on it,what happens when you use your sink or tub do they drain properly

Pour water through the bowl with a bucket and see if it spits at you…….

Welcome, Another thing it doesn't look like there's enough water in the bowl. Make sure water is coming out of the
tube and into the overflow good.

Pour water through the bowl with a bucket and see if it spits at you…….
Hey! Just had a new baby so I haven’t had time to reply. I poured a bucket of water down the toilet and it didn’t spit back at me. I’m curious to know what your thought process is with the air bubbles.

Have you run an auger through it,i would clean the holes under the rim and the small hole i. The bowl what brand toilet is it i can only see one video the name should be printed on the bowl behind the seat.ball up toilet paper, flush with paper about 1/2 dozen times could be something in the toilet, paper will hang up on it,what happens when you use your sink or tub do they drain properly
The toilet brand is American Standard. And the plumber I called used a auger and forced air into the toilet but that didn’t stop the air bubbles. He didn’t have a reason to why this was happening. He just said that the line seemed to be clear since the water flushed down fine. All other drains in the house work just fine. Any other suggestions?

Hey! Just had a new baby so I haven’t had time to reply. I poured a bucket of water down the toilet and it didn’t spit back at me. I’m curious to know what your thought process is with the air bubbles.

If the water level in the toilet bowl is at its proper height and it’s still blowing water at you when it’s flushed then it may just be a poor design.

If the bowl water level is not proper that is typically controlled by the ballcocks refill hose. There are ballcocks that offer high rates of refill. Some toilets require a high rate refill, some Toto toilets do.

Back