How to Remove Shower Handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooth Salt

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the chrome cylinder piece from this shower handle?

IMG_4338.JPG

I got the lever handle off but I don't see how to remove the piece that the arrow is pointing to. I'm hoping there is a shut off behind so I don't have to shut off the main.

Most likely unscrews counterclockwise

But I can’t say for certain.

Brute force. It is a common style of escutcheon and believe me when I say that it is a unfriendly design element. Often leads to purely use of channel lock pliers which often damages the piece. Oft-suggested use of strap wrench never works…always counter-clockwise.

Brute force. It is a common style of escutcheon and believe me when I say that it is a unfriendly design element. Often leads to purely use of channel lock pliers which often damages the piece. Oft-suggested use of strap wrench never works…always counter-clockwise.
I think it is an unfriendly design as well. The problem with brute force is I hear the copper pipe moving behind the tile like it's being twisted while I'm turning. I'm assuming it was not secured properly. I might just have to damage the piece.

I have seen the entire stem unscrew with the escutcheon.

Be careful and always know how to turn the water off quickly if needed, or go ahead and turn it off while you’re trying to get it apart.

Hot tip # 9,367

I have seen the entire stem unscrew with the escutcheon.

Be careful and always know how to turn the water off quickly if needed, or go ahead and turn it off while you’re trying to get it apart.

Hot tip # 9,367

I think I will turn off the main before I attempt this, I agree I think the stem might unscrew with it as it's pretty old.

Back