How to connect 1 1/4 pvc stub out drain to p trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickFlorida

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm almost done with my 3 month long bathroom remodel of my old Florida house. I want to buy what I need now for my new sink but when I was about to glue on one of those 1 1/2 adapters to build p trap I found out the drain out of wall is 1 1/4. What do I need to do now because aren't all the parts for sinks and p traps 1 1/2? The pvc drain sticking out from wall is about an inch sticking out so I have plenty of it to glue something on but wasn't sure if there's a special adapter so that I don't make it too long with lots of reducers etc. thanks for any help.

The boot I linked is a little too small. Outside diameter of 1.25” pvc is 1.66”.

Get the next size up, the one with one end bigger than the other.

A Fernco rubber adapter is now what I remember was originally on there but isn't it better to glue on pvc or not really since that's harder to remove.

A Fernco rubber adapter is now what I remember was originally on there but isn't it better to glue on pvc or not really since that's harder to remove.

I’m not aware of a trap adapter for 1.25” pvc.

I’ve tried before and the trap weir will not slip into a 1.25” pvc male adapter.

Typically 1.5” pipe is used in the pvc flavor.

Yeah im not sure exactly what to do. What I think happened is that since the 1957 house originally had that thin copper drain pipes in walls and they fail here by the beach and when it was replaced with pvc, they ran 1 1/4 instead of 1 1/2 because it was easier to fit through walls, studs, and turns. This is my guess.

I found an easy solution (Did not yet have time to connect everything but at least now I could use a common 1 1/2 adapter for the P traps.). I found this increaser/reducer and it doesn't not add too much length. The weird thing though is that aren't the actual P traps that go to the bathroom sink connect to 1 1/4 and not 1 1/2? But the PVD drains are often 1 1/2 as I assume due to those adapters all being that size.

Attachments

• IMG_3760.JPEG
    IMG_3760.JPEG
    536.9 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, we don’t like to go from larger to smaller pipe like that except for a toilet ell.

Yeah, we don’t like to go from larger to smaller pipe like that except for a toilet ell.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I did not glue that piece on you see in the photo yet. So I don't have to use it. So I should just try to use the 1 1/4 inch pipe out of wall and directly go into my "J" bend P trap. Isn't sink drains for 1 1/4 anyways? I don't know why this is so confusing to me. But what is confusing is that all of the adapters for your P traps are for 1 1/2 PVC drain pipe. So aren't all of these sinks already going from larger to smaller since the J bend and P traps are often 1 1/4?

Lavatory p trap can be 1.25” or 1.5” when you have a 1.5” fixture arm...OR 1.25” trap when the fixture arm is 1.25”.

Not good to put 1.5” trap with a 1.25” fixture arm

Lavatory p trap can be 1.25” or 1.5” when you have a 1.5” fixture arm...OR 1.25” trap when the fixture arm is 1.25”.

Okay thanks. I did notice that the P Trap/J Bend kit that I purchased yesterday says "for 1 1/2 or 1 1/4". Plus, I think those adapters that glue onto the PVC drain from wall and then screw onto the J Bend system also come with a different grommet for sizes (but I still don't see how any of those 1 1/2 adapters can fit/glue onto a a 1 1/4 pvd pipe. I just need to get in there and figure it out. I've probably way over thought all this and just need to get into there and then I'll report my success tonight. At any rate, I do think the original installation was a black/grey Fernco adapter.

I found the original J bend and horizontal pipe but not the part or way they connected exactly. It either had a fernco type thing or maybe it was barely glued, I can't remember. Here is a photo of how it was but I don't know how to finalize the wall drain pipe to the horizontal pipe. What do you recommend please? (I would get new parts). The drain pipe coming out of wall is 1 1/4 PVC (About 1 and 5/8 outter diameter or nominal)

Attachments

• connection.jpg
    connection.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 5
They do make 1 1/4" pvc hub x slip nut fittings.

Thank you. It seems you are correct but they are extremely rare and hard to find. I only see these online from 2 sites. Not even Ferguson carries this as far as I know. Only PVCfittings.com and maybe one other site I saw. 1-1/4" DWV PVC Trap Adapter - Male SP x SJ D113-012

In Lowes and Hope Depot, the Oatey kit is called a "trap adapter" and but of course it's for 1 1/2 inch pvc .

I was able to find a Fernco rubber boot like Twowax suggested and it squeezes on tight and should work fine. If it leaks or has a problem I will try purchasing the adapter you found online. But it would take at least 7 days to get one. Am I wrong that these are rare (1 1/4 trap adapters instead of the common 1 1/2)?

Yes you are right they are getting rare. I don't believe anyone stubs out with 11/4" anymore.

Latest posts

Back