How to check for main line leaks before purchasing the home

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryd

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a rental home which has been unoccupied for along time...don't know how long. I have purchased a few homes where I got surprised when getting the water turned on, only to find out we had leaks in the main incoming line, and was fairly expensive to repair!

This time, I can get the water turned on at the street city valve, with the house main shut off valve turned off. There are unfinished plumbing openings in the house, so it is not possible to open the house shutoff valve.

If this is done, how would one check for main line leaks to the meter, to the home, which are buried lines?

if you capped off all the water lines and used an air compressor you could pump the lines up with 125 psi of air you would do hot and cold separately if the property has steam or hot water heat you would also need to check that for issues I would isolate the hot water heater so you don't some how over pressurize it......

If you're just checking the line from meter to house shut off. shut the house valve open the meter valve, if the meter doesn't stop you have a leak.

Latest posts

Back