HJ-40 Shower cartridge makes knocking sound

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmessier2

Reaction score
We purchased and had professionally installed a Vasilis Shower System. It has a 40mm HJ-40 cartridge in the valve. Immediately after install we noticed a knocking sound when any other water is turned on or off in the house from the wall of the shower. It especially occurs when the washer is running (water hammer). After intense searching for pipes, we were able to isolate the cause of the knocking to the shower mixer valve. When we removed the valve we noticed that when you shake the valve, a cylindrical metal piece slides back and forth- which creates the noise. We thought that replacing the cartridge would fix it, so we ordered an exact replacement

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DVLQXR4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The new cartridge makes the same noise! This must be a design flaw. Is there any way to fix this, or another cartridge type that I can use? This is driving me insane. I even installed water hammer suppressors on the washer, but this knock is so sensitive it even does it when sink faucets go on and off. No other showers in the house make this noise.

Please help! Suggestions?

Same here. I installed hammer arrestors on the washing machine and it’s better but not gone away completely. When the hammering happens we get dripping from the shower head. I think it may be related to the valve design but I’ve never disassembled mine

Same here. I installed hammer arrestors on the washing machine and it’s better but not gone away completely. When the hammering happens we get dripping from the shower head. I think it may be related to the valve design but I’ve never disassembled mine
It's a design flaw. I'm looking to find a way to replace the original cartridge.

The lesson here is not to buy generic mystery brand junk like that in the first place.
Some low end name brand valves do use those cartridges, but stick with higher quality vendors, big names, avoid the Chinese garbage parts.

The lesson here is not to buy generic mystery brand junk like that in the first place.
Some low end name brand valves do use those cartridges, but stick with higher quality vendors, big names, avoid the Chinese garbage parts.
I agree. Howsome this product is widely sold on Amazon and other retail store. The review is also misleading. This could cause you whole a lot money to install and reinstall a different one at the end. It's rather unfortunate.
I'm going to see if there is a cheaper way to fix this. I will update here once I figure it out.

Amazon will sell anything, lots of cheap trash on there, you get what you pay for.

That valve has two parts, a mixing cartridge and a pressure balance module, have you replaced both of those?

Don’t want to hijack this thread but thanks for the replies. My shower valves were install by the previous homeowner. I have no idea what manufacturer they are but I’ll check. I’m assuming they are regular brand as everything else in the bathroom seems to have come from Home Depot. One of the first things I did was install a pressure control valve as our pressure was over 100 psi when we first moved in back in April

It’s at 60 psi. Doesn’t seem to have moved. I feel like it’s the routing of the pipes. Could it be that the pipes are under sized ! ie 1/2” where there should be 3/4”?

No, pipe size is not a relevant issue here.
The part that moves inside the cartridge is a part of the pressure balancing scheme.
So, it is just the hydraulics of the house that is making the sound and there is no solution other than replacing with a name brand MAJOR mfr.

No, pipe size is not a relevant issue here.
The part that moves inside the cartridge is a part of the pressure balancing scheme.
So, it is just the hydraulics of the house that is making the sound and there is no solution other than replacing with a name brand MAJOR mfr.
I’m not suggesting the original posters issue is caused from undersized pipes but under sizing lines or exceeding the flow rates can contribute to water hammer.,

With the smaller pipe the water is moving at a higher velocity. When the water abruptly stops you get a higher pressure spike.

Replace the cartridge with non-pressure balance one like below. Works well for me, the banging is gone. Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 4.18.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-05 at 4.19.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-05 at 4.18.40 PM.png

I got it from aliexpress, shipment takes 2week. very fast.
You have to get the 40mm one which is the same diameter as HJ-40 cartridge.
I couldn't send any link in this forum. DM me if you need to get one.

After the shower handle and cartridge replacement. It fits well and looks like below . 20210306_203730.jpg

Latest posts

Back