Help on kitchen sink S trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The aav has a spring operated valve.

So it is normally closed.

It only opens from the suction of water going down the drain, starved for air behind it.

Raising it as high as possible gives it the space it needs to act as a vent, without leaking while open.

The ones I’ve seen are a rubber disc that gets pulled down when negative pressure affects it

Yeah the rubber disc is the mechanical device.

So what, that’s your opinion. Last I checked I’m not required to follow your opinion nor is anyone else.

If your code allows it, then use it the way the manufacture will allow its install.

If your code won’t and you can’t get an engineer to over ride or that’s not possible in your location, do it the way your code says to.

Common sense right ?

Like I said. They fail. That's why they need to be above our as close to flood rim as possible. Where they are allowed they need to be accessible (because they fail) and above flood rim.

I don't know why you would want one below as high as you could put it. Here's common sense. "My sink is backed up I'll stop running it". Hence no flooded cabinet. This is not common sense, "my sink is backed up. Oh crap before I even knew it my cabinet is flooded."

Like I said. They fail. That's why they need to be above our as close to flood rim as possible. Where they are allowed they need to be accessible (because they fail) and above flood rim.

I don't know why you would want one below as high as you could put it. Here's common sense. "My sink is backed up I'll stop running it". Hence no flooded cabinet. This is not common sense, "my sink is backed up. Oh crap before I even knew it my cabinet is flooded."
Tell it to the manufacturer. I don’t build them. I rarely use them.

The manufacture disagrees with you.

Our inspector only let's you when there's really no other way. Like when a bank wants a coffee bar smack in the middle of it. Where there's nothing viable to vent into.

Our inspector only let's you when there's really no other way. Like when a bank wants a coffee bar smack in the middle of it. Where there's nothing viable to vent into.
They’ll do what they’re told to do. Trust me on that.

They tuck their tail when they see me on the job.

I can get a private engineer to sign off on most anything I ask. We are all licensed bonded and insured for over 25 yrs.

You know, I prefer the catch more flies with honey approach. I got an electrical inspection on a house I bought. He wanted to come look at one thing outside (it's a little newer here.) Then he just asked me what I did on the basement and signed off.

I'm getting to where when I call sometimes they l sometimes they just sign off. Eventually they won't come.

They're are some people here who call me becuse they don't want to deal with the inspector.

Latest posts

Back