Healthy Septic/DBox Water Color?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allistah

Reaction score
Hi there,

We have a concrete septic tank that is about 4x4x12 in size. We do not have any aeration or oxygen adding hardware in the tank. I think it wasn't taken care of for many years before we moved in. The water going into the leach field and the dirt and area around the drainage rocks were black when we dug up the ground. I was told that this black in the drainage rocks was organic matter that was not "eaten" by bacteria/enzymes in the septic tank. I recently had the tank pumped and there was about 2-4" of sludge on the bottom. Not much on the top of the water after about a year so thats good I guess. Since we've had the tank pumped, I've been adding some septic tank treatments: Roebic K-570-Q Biodegradable Leach and Drain Field Treatment Concentrate, GREEN PIG Live Septic Tank Treatment, and Cabin Obsession Septic Tank Treatment. All three have different times between applications. The tank has just reached the top of the second half of the tank, and is now spilling into the D-Box. The color of the water is a dark gray color, like a thinned out black water.

What is the color of a healthy septic tank water that goes into the D-Box? I have an inspection port out the top of the D-Box so I can see right down into the D-Box. The water in it is a dark gray color as I stated. I don't want to add too many enzymes and bacteria to the tank but I want to know what color of water I should expect for something that is in a healthy state. I'm trying to learn how to read the water of this tank so I can determine if I need to take action (or not).

Thank you for any tips, tricks, or other information that would be good for me to know so I can take care of this system and keep it happy.

Water black in tank is usually caused by garbage disposal. Water being black in leaching area is usually biomaterial. Water being grey is usually caused by too much Fats, oil, and grease. Proper pumping schedule will be better than any enzyme or bacteria in my opinion.

Back