Having issues with a hydroponic pump system. dont have enough pressure to feed all lines.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Fulton

Reaction score
I have recently ventured into setting up a hydroponic lettuce farm beside my existing greenhouse.
I buried a 1000 gallon tank in the ground and attached an above ground solar pool pump. this pump I assumed (maybe incorrectly could work.) now I have set up all the banks and for some reason i do not get water in the tops of the a frames. Swimming Pool Pump, 900W 92GPM Powerful Motor, 72VDC Max. Head 62ft,

Any one out there that can help me figure this one out?

Attachments

• 20230203_151914.jpg
    20230203_151914.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230209_142008.jpg
    20230209_142008.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230209_142008.jpg
    20230209_142008.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
So many factors. How much pressure is going to the outlet., into the first outlet tube. How many linear feet. This is literally a math problem you have to figure out. You have an equation to figure out. Size of tubing., is it being fed from the middle with a tee or one end that travels in one direction. ETC.

I have recently ventured into setting up a hydroponic lettuce farm beside my existing greenhouse.
I buried a 1000 gallon tank in the ground and attached an above ground solar pool pump. this pump I assumed (maybe incorrectly could work.) now I have set up all the banks and for some reason i do not get water in the tops of the a frames. Swimming Pool Pump, 900W 92GPM Powerful Motor, 72VDC Max. Head 62ft,

Any one out there that can help me figure this one out?
Yes I think you are correct. any ideas how I can figure it out

Attachments

• Lettuce Irrigation.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
You'd need to know pressure on that horizontal line feeding the branches.,

And need to feed each branch the appropriate psi to have sufficient flow. I'm not gonna spend that much time required in properly sizing and designing your system...

You need to know your pressure., and if you need a booster for psi.
Need to properly balance it with balancing valves to feed all branches equally.

How is it _supposed_ to work? I'd think you want the water to come in the top, flow down through all the lines, and drain back into the tank? In your pictures there are no connections, so I'm not surprised that the water doesn't make it where you expect. 8*)

Back