Get more than 1.6 GPF?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm.. but I doubt in red/conservative states like Florida and Texas. I live in Florida and I can't find any 1.6 gallon toilets in stock ANYWHERE. It's a 2 week waiting list. But I wonder if maybe because other states are not allowing 1.6 gallon toilets (if true) then far, far less are being made now? Hmmm.

I tried a 1.28 gallon toilet in my guest bathroom and as soon as I had the first guests stay over for a few days, the toilet clogged. So I had to spend another 500 dollars getting a second toilet. I wasted a lot of time and money not thinking about the fact that some toilets are 1.28 and others are 1.6. It's REALLY hard to find 1.6 gallon toilets in my area and I live in a pretty large high population area in Florida.
consumer product vs business.,
The products for a water heater looks nearly identical, but best believe, the loews or home-depot version is the inferior version., and slightly cheaper

After US Congress passed laws against "high volume" flush toilets back in the 90's, the largest contraband coming into the US from Canada were the old "high volume" flush toilets. It seems that while most of the US Congress is full of "excrement", they don't know ANYTHING about "excrement"!

Design is everything. I won a free .82 gallon toilet that included installation. I placed into my guest bathroom to test it. It ended up working so well, I purchased two more of them. Now all 3 toilets are .82 gallons a flush, had them for over 2 years, and never had a clog, stoppage or issue. I've also cut my water bill in half. I know the design of my house, with the kitchen being the farthest drain, will help pushing sewage down line, which helps me alot.

Design is everything. I won a free .82 gallon toilet that included installation. I placed into my guest bathroom to test it. It ended up working so well, I purchased two more of them. Now all 3 toilets are .82 gallons a flush, had them for over 2 years, and never had a clog, stoppage or issue. I've also cut my water bill in half. I know the design of my house, with the kitchen being the farthest drain, will help pushing sewage down line, which helps me alot.

Wow, interesting! What brand of toilet is it, please?

There’s more to it than clearing the bowl. You need water to keep your pipes clean.

Wow, interesting! What brand of toilet is it, please?

The toilets that were installed at my house are Niagara Conservation Toilets.

I've gone around and around with experts regarding these low water consuming toilets. Now, with two years of testing on these low water consuming toilets, I just asked mama to honestly tell me how many times she has had to "double flush" her toilet, she said, "Less than a handful of times", and for myself, being 6-2, 240 pounds, I will double flush maybe once a week, just to remove "stains" in the bowl.

They may not be for everyone, but with water rates in California, I have seen a noticeable decrease in my water bill. Even with an occasional "double flush", you are consuming 1.64 gallons of water. For me, I personally like the quick and quiet refilling after the flush.

https://niagaracorp.com/resource-library/technology/

1.28s have been required here for long enough, that when shopping, we insist folks choose MaP rated 1,000. scoring toilets. I won't install less, except, we had someone insist recently on a Toto Ultramax and made them sign a hold-harmless that it was NOT rated at 1,000 on MaP.
Happiest customers are those that choose actual power-assist Sloan-type.

Years ago I needed to replace 1 toilet. I wanted an ADA height one piece and picked up a one piece Kohler 1.28 toilet. I was so impressed I bought 2 more to replace the other toilets. They are far better than the older full flush toilets I had. On the rare occasion when you have an extremely loose excrement there may be a little sediment left, but that is rare and we may or may not do an extra flush. In addition to the water company rebates we got I am sure it is saving me far more water even with the rare extra flush. I believe I have had these more than 10 years. The other great thing is I have never had to replace the tank flush seal. The old bowls I would have to replace flappers every few years. I honestly don’t remember what the inside of the tank looks like a si don’t think I ever opened it.

I still have a old crane Radcliff toilet, flushes 3.4 gallons per. These things are like 55 Chevy.
This was the work horse in its day

I'm interested in the "power assist Sloan" type toilets. I never even heard of that. I do know that Drake 2 by Toto is popular but it seems there's a lot of features and ratings that only you professionals know about. It seems that consumers like me are in the dark about various ratings and features. The online stores only show us gallons per flush and are hiding the other ratings you guys mention. Like what is MaP 1000 rating?

The MaP score is a measure of how much of a waste standard (using a paste and toilet paper) will flush. It is a voluntary test that is conducted by an independent testing company. You can find those scores and more in the technical specs on most manufacturer websites,, such as Gerber, Toto and Kohler (I don't like Kohler because all of their parts are proprietary).
Most toilets use gravity to flush the bowl. The "power assist" flush valves store pressure from the water supply line, which is released for a forceful flush when the tank lever is actuated (resulting in a noisy flush).

Go to Walmart or a store that has the Chrome flush valves and not a tank. Flush one of those and that is what
it will be like in your home.

I guess I knew that. What is the average water consumption compared to a regular tanked toilet?

The toilets that were installed at my house are Niagara Conservation Toilets.

I've gone around and around with experts regarding these low water consuming toilets. Now, with two years of testing on these low water consuming toilets, I just asked mama to honestly tell me how many times she has had to "double flush" her toilet, she said, "Less than a handful of times", and for myself, being 6-2, 240 pounds, I will double flush maybe once a week, just to remove "stains" in the bowl.

They may not be for everyone, but with water rates in California, I have seen a noticeable decrease in my water bill. Even with an occasional "double flush", you are consuming 1.64 gallons of water. For me, I personally like the quick and quiet refilling after the flush.

https://niagaracorp.com/resource-library/technology/

Interesting. We have several Toto Eco-Drake toilets, with a flush rate of 1.1 gpm. They flush OK, not too bad. Our problem is the lack of glazing on the inside of the bowl. Lower gpm flush would work better with a smooth, well-glazed finish. Fortunately we don't have their "special" ceramic finish, which limits cleaning material options, but their glazed finish is thin over a surface that is too rough for a thin glaze. Have been thinking about replacing at least the one in the MBth.

Back