Get more than 1.6 GPF?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tollhaus

Reaction score
Is there a way to take an existing standard toilet and get more water in the bowl? Or... is there a way to get a toilet that doesn't come with that limitation?

Some toilets you can replace the flapper and adjust the flapper to stay open longer and that delivers more water.

Depenfing on how the toilet is designed you may get multiple flushes or possibly one long flush that resembles old toilets that flush more water.

post pics of the inside of your tank

IMG_20220108_093228113.jpgIMG_20220108_093202850.jpg

This is one of the toilets I currently have. My parents have two that I'd like to adjust if possible. And I'm about to add a bathroom in the basement, so figured I'd try to pick a toilet that is easy to adjust.

Unless you can replace the entire flushvalve then you’re stuck with how it flushes now.

I have very little experience with Glacier Bay products. People who buy those box store brands usually don’t call a pro.

Do you have a second toilet in the house to compare it with?????? As twowaxhack mentioned ithat brand is not something installed or warrantied by a professional

The water spot is controlled by the wier of the trap. You can’t increase it more than that level.

Thanks, guys. Let's just focus on me getting the right type of toilet that I'm putting in our new basement bathroom. If I'm starting from scratch (I am) in the basement bathroom, which type of toilet should I buy that would be easiest to adjust/modify? If you have a link to a specific product, I'll take that. I'd like the higher toilet and probably the round, not elongated type since it will be a small bathroom.

I'm willing to do some work/spend some money to replace the toilet innards if it's required. I'm a bit OCD and once something bothers me, then man! it bothers me.

As for the toilet I showed in the pictures, we had a ton of work done when we bought this house (down to studs and plywood in the entire downstairs). One day we came in and the toilet was in. Not ideal and definitely not what we would have picked. Oh well.

The other two toilets are upstairs and older style. Probably 15-20 years old, if not older. No issues. My parents live in NH (500 miles away). I'll deal with those another day.

Find a toilet that has a flapper in it and has a flush handle. Those can be tinkered with the easiest.

Like getting an adjustable flapper and setting the adjustment to allow it to stay up longer and use more water.

Stay away from any flush towers or proprietary flushing system.

Replace the entire flush valve is what I did when we had problems with backups. Eventually, I removed the hump in the C.I. pipe under the floor, and restored the low flow flush valve.

It would be kinda awkward to flush the toilet if the OP installed a flush valve with a flapper. No tank handle.

You’d have to find a flush lift rod that fits the hole in the tank lid.

Not worth all that for a Glacier Bay crap flusher

I had to buy a toilet last week and was shocked to find out you can't buy a 1.6 gallon Kholer in any Lowes or Home Depot (at least within 100 miles of me and I live in very over populated Florida). They will deliver my 1.6 gallon chair height Kholer on February 11th and I ordered it 5 or 6 days ago! But if you want a 1.2 gallon toilet.... they got dozens and dozens and dozens of damn toilets in stock in every damn store. I don't know if developers are buying all the 1.6 gallon toilets while interest rates are still cheap and they are building lots of homes in Florida or if just no one at all ever buys 1.28 gallon toilets but the damn stores stock them anyways?

I had to buy a toilet last week and was shocked to find out you can't buy a 1.6 gallon Kholer in any Lowes or Home Depot (at least within 100 miles of me and I live in very over populated Florida). They will deliver my 1.6 gallon chair height Kholer on February 11th and I ordered it 5 or 6 days ago! But if you want a 1.2 gallon toilet.... they got dozens and dozens and dozens of damn toilets in stock in every damn store. I don't know if developers are buying all the 1.6 gallon toilets while interest rates are still cheap and they are building lots of homes in Florida or if just no one at all ever buys 1.28 gallon toilets but the damn stores stock them anyways?
Go to a plumbing supply house.

Go to a plumbing supply house.

I do like the Vorten that is in my guest bathroom. It has been problem free and flushes great. It's 1.6 gallons. The only plumbing supply house I have is Ferguson I believe. And I don't think they carry Vorten. They only carry something called ProFlush which I doubt is as good as Vorten. Ferguson mostly caters to to their showroom level items like Toto and above it seems (but we do have a Ferguson plumbing wharehous that has ProFlush at least). In terms of Kholers... Ferguson was totally out of stock of any 1.6 gallon kholers as well. I would have gladly bought another 1.6 Vorten from them if they had it.

Most states have mandated (Gawd, I hate that word!) that water saving toilets must be sold to the general public.
Hmmmm.. but I doubt in red/conservative states like Florida and Texas. I live in Florida and I can't find any 1.6 gallon toilets in stock ANYWHERE. It's a 2 week waiting list. But I wonder if maybe because other states are not allowing 1.6 gallon toilets (if true) then far, far less are being made now? Hmmm.

I tried a 1.28 gallon toilet in my guest bathroom and as soon as I had the first guests stay over for a few days, the toilet clogged. So I had to spend another 500 dollars getting a second toilet. I wasted a lot of time and money not thinking about the fact that some toilets are 1.28 and others are 1.6. It's REALLY hard to find 1.6 gallon toilets in my area and I live in a pretty large high population area in Florida.

Back