Gerber toilet keeps running sporadically

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryC

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a Gerber toilet that had a fill value start spraying water from the top of the assembly. I replaced it with a new fill value and flapper that came with the kit. Then the toilet would sporadically run and I could hear water going into the tank. I replaced the flapper and it still ran. Using Fluidmaster products I replaced all of the parts (fill value, flush value, flapper, tank bolts and even the tank to bowl gasket). After replacing all the parts it still runs, now more often. My first question is, could over tightening the flush value assembly to the tank and the tank bolts cause a leak into the bowl? I put green food coloring into the tank and after a couple of minutes I could see the water in the bowl turning green. It appeared to be coming up from the bottom of the toilet. What else should I try? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

TerryC

Check tank water level.
It needs to be no higher than about a half inch from the overflow pipe height.

Also no higher than the CL mark on the riser of the fill valve.

There should be a water level setting printed or molded onto back of tank.

And even a brand new fill valve can immediately get chunks of minerals which makes it keep filling slowly after it should have stopped.

Usually caused by not properly flushing the supply line, shutoff valve, and the pipe feeding the toilet.

Your new flapper might have the wrong chain length, or the flush lever is hanging up and not letting the flapper seat properly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advise. It pointed me in the right direction. This past evening I rechecked the fill and flush values, made a few adjustments and resolved the issue.

Back