Dodgy (pinhole) elbow: shark bite or not?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeiam

Reaction score
Thanks for clicking! This is my first post...So I appreciate you even looking...So I will get right to it! :)

I've done a lot of the renovations on my duplex (I live in it), but plumbing -- because it needed extensive roughing in and new sewage lines -- was mostly left to the pros. I did drains and such for my sinks, but never messed around with copper much. So wanted to ask the good folks here because there's A LOT of knowledge here.

All my copper lines are new to both bathrooms. Flash forward to yesterday and I hear a siss sound coming from my closet. I cut open the wall and it's a pinhole spray at the elbow for my toilet line.

I could call my plumber, but I wouldn't mind learning a bit more about this process. Before, when I was looking around at PEX and compression valves I thought it was inferior. But, now I'm looking at a faulty elbow that's like 5 months old! This damage could have been severe if I'd been gone.

I'm showing a few pics of the layout and what I'm proposing. Note: pic 2 obviously has a 2x4, which I'll sawzall out. What I'm wondering is if I can cut the copper in the basement (pic 1), run a compression coupler (eg, sharkbite) to pex, then a compression elbow to something for a stub out to the shutoff in the wall? This seems pretty straightforward for converting copper->PEX.

The water to this area has been drained and shut off upstream.

Thanks for much for reading!

Attachments

• exTo7x3A.jpeg
    exTo7x3A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • arG17alQ.jpeg
    arG17alQ.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 3x6dTH88.jpeg
    3x6dTH88.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 8.09.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 8.09.00 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 8.10.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 8.10.01 PM.png
    905.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 8.11.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-25 at 8.11.56 PM.png
    736.7 KB · Views: 1
The proper way to stub out is with a winged elbow secured with screws to solid backing.
I've not had my hands on that side clip Sharkbite you show in pic #4.
The following fitting could be used if you must push-fit.
At worst, you could use the double push-fit style, but know, that the copper stub can spin...which may be ok...I'd just never do that.

1687743342795.png

The proper way to stub out is with a winged elbow secured with screws to solid backing.
I've not had my hands on that side clip Sharkbite you show in pic #4.
The following fitting could be used if you must push-fit.
At worst, you could use the double push-fit style, but know, that the copper stub can spin...which may be ok...I'd just never do that.

View attachment 40873
Thanks! Awesome...That's sort of what I wasn't finding.

I see. Seems like clamping would be tricky with these elbows so this winged one has some screw holes...got it. But the stub out -- in this case -- is a screw-type? I found this piece on HD's site. Is the stub out simply screwed in in this case? I agree about not having it spin on both ends, especially near the toilet :)

You'd use a brass nipple in threaded fitting. and ips threaded angle stop

Thanks for clicking! This is my first post...So I appreciate you even looking...So I will get right to it! :)

I've done a lot of the renovations on my duplex (I live in it), but plumbing -- because it needed extensive roughing in and new sewage lines -- was mostly left to the pros. I did drains and such for my sinks, but never messed around with copper much. So wanted to ask the good folks here because there's A LOT of knowledge here.

All my copper lines are new to both bathrooms. Flash forward to yesterday and I hear a siss sound coming from my closet. I cut open the wall and it's a pinhole spray at the elbow for my toilet line.

I could call my plumber, but I wouldn't mind learning a bit more about this process. Before, when I was looking around at PEX and compression valves I thought it was inferior. But, now I'm looking at a faulty elbow that's like 5 months old! This damage could have been severe if I'd been gone.

I'm showing a few pics of the layout and what I'm proposing. Note: pic 2 obviously has a 2x4, which I'll sawzall out. What I'm wondering is if I can cut the copper in the basement (pic 1), run a compression coupler (eg, sharkbite) to pex, then a compression elbow to something for a stub out to the shutoff in the wall? This seems pretty straightforward for converting copper->PEX.

The water to this area has been drained and shut off upstream.

Thanks for much for reading!
No way that piping is just 5 months old.

No way that piping is just 5 months old.
You're right...This elbow, turns out, wasn't ever replaced / roughed-in like the sink and shower. And when you look closely, you can see it got nicked! who knows how. that's wild

Back