Diverter Valve Seat replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake H.

Reaction score
Good day all,

I bought this house and we noticed that when you turn the diverter knob to send water up to the shower, it does, but water still comes out the bottom spout. So I read up a bit and came to the conclusion that I need a new diverter. I pulled the old diverter out but I can't seem to see the old seat in there to replace. Out of frustration of not being able to grab onto the old seat, I installed the new diverter sans new seat. The water leaks out bottom spout a lot less but still does. And now the shower screams when hot water goes through it. So I'm uploading some pics to get some clarification if there is indeed an old seat somewhere in there so I know I can just tap the tool in there and wrench it out without fearing I'm stripping something. I've tried putting the new seat in but it doesn't catch any thread. This leads me to believe there is something in there. Just not sure. Thank you for reading and I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• 16778598396566184758155757003856.jpg
    16778598396566184758155757003856.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 0
  • 16778599162033756595056485887014.jpg
    16778599162033756595056485887014.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The seat marked in red is stripped, marked in blue is where a square seat wrench would fit if it wasn’t stripped. It looks just like what Havasu posted.

Attachments

• 2E0B559B-88A7-4BA1-8B99-1581EBCF1C87.jpeg
    2E0B559B-88A7-4BA1-8B99-1581EBCF1C87.jpeg
    821.5 KB · Views: 0
The large end of this seat extractor is your best hope.

The tool is reverse thread and threads itself into the seat until it hopefully breaks free and unscrews.

https://a.co/d/7GEvkux

Your faucet is made by Gerber based off the handles, I’d need to see the stems to be 100% positive

You’ll need the square end of this seat tool to install the new seat.
Check this out!
https://a.co/d/b1VDBmq

Can you confirm for all our viewers that stems are generally reverse threaded?
No, stems are not usually reverse threads. Neither are seats.

The tool I posted has reverse threads so when you thread it into the damaged seat it grabs and unscrews the damaged seat.

Ok so to confirm, I have that exact seat ready to install Havasu but I can't tell what's in there. So thank you. It helps to know that there is something to grab.
Also. I have that seat tool you linked twowaxhack. So I'll try the big end.
And are you certain that it isn't reverse thread?

Ok so to confirm, I have that exact seat ready to install Havasu but I can't tell what's in there. So thank you. It helps to know that there is something to grab.
Also. I have that seat tool you linked twowaxhack. So I'll try the big end.
And are you certain that it isn't reverse thread?
Nevermind on the reverse thread question. I reread and realized I did the same mis read Havasu did. The specific tool for worn seats is something I might have to pick up if this doesn't work out. I'll let yall know!

Got the old one out! Thanks for yalls help! But is the new one suppose to have an o-ring on it? It doesn't but the old one did

Ooo I see. Ok cool. I'll go grab some. I put the new one in without anything and it still leaks a little bit and screams with hot water so I hope whatever pipe dope is helps.

Is the washer that stops at the seat...it is in good condition? Your old seat may have messed up the face and should be replaced.

Back