Dishwasher Odor Mystery

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nj385

Reaction score
We have a puzzling problem with our dishwasher. The problem is that there is a disgusting odor emanating from the dishwasher after the washing cycle has completed the wash and drying period. Worse yet is that every item in the washer has this stink attach to it. I have checked what I believe are every possible culprits and still the odor persist. Everything is new: dishwasher, garbage disposal and P-trap. HELP!

Is it pumping all the way down
Pit some vinegar in the base of the dishwasher and run it till it pumps down, the open the door between cycles and add small amount more

The plug is removed.

As for a possible defective machine, we had this odor in our previous machine. I was hoping the odor would go away with a new washer.

I tried a vinegar suggestion by putting a bowl of vinegar on the top rack and run a cycle. No luck.

Is it pumping all the way down
Pit some vinegar in the base of the dishwasher and run it till it pumps down, the open the door between cycles and add small amount more
I tried a vinegar suggestion by putting a bowl of vinegar on the top rack and run a cycle. No luck. I will try your suggestion.

I would expect the machine not to work properly if it wasn't able to pump to empty when the brain of the machine called for it to do so but who know.
As for a possible defective machine, we had this odor in our previous machine. I was hoping the odor would go away with a new washer.

Lots of questions for ya.
1) Is there any water left at the bottom of the dishwasher when a wash is completed?
2) Do you rinse your dishes before placing them in the dishwasher?
3) How often do you run your dishwasher?
4) Have you ever cleaned your disposal by placing ice cubes and with water, turning on your disposal?
5) Have you checked your filter inside the dishwasher?
6) Are you on a well or city supplied water?
7) Does a glass of water have any odor to it?
8) Have you checked to see if your filter is clean?

From your user manual....

We recommend cleaning the filter every month

1. Open the door, and then remove the lower rack.
  2. Turn the filter handle counterclockwise to unlock the filter cover.
  3. Remove the filter cover, and then the cylindrical micro filter underneath.
  4. Remove any dirt and impurities from the micro filter and the filter cover.
  5. Rinse them with running water, and then dry well.
  6. Reinsert the filter, and then the filter cover.
  7. Turn the filter handle clockwise to lock.

1. No standing water after the wash.
2. We do rinse off large debris.
3. Just the two of us. Every three days.
4. I have treated the disposal with ice cubes and lemon rinds. The unit is very clean and fairly new.
5. I have checked the filter and micro filter a few times.
6. City supplied water. House built in 1975.
7. No odor from tap water. Only odor is on the glasses after the wash.

Could it be from the main waste line after the P-trap?

If this is the 2nd dishwasher with the same issue we need to see how it's connected under your sink there is one way you can figure this out, disconnect the dishwasher hose put a plastic bag over the end of the hose with a couple of elastics and on the end we're it connects to your disposal do the same thing go to bed and check and reassemble inthe morning

The plastic bag and elastic was just a quick way to prevent a smell there are better ways to do it if you are confident with tools and fittings

Last edited:
I really do not understand what you are trying to achieve. The odor only happens after a washing. There is no odor when running the faucet or turning on the garbage disposal. I have attached two photo's. Disposal and P-trap hookup and the waste line from the washer. I was a contractor but now retired. I have installed many washers and disposals and that's why this is so baffling. (I did not do the wall job, so embarrassing)

Attachments

• PA270409.jpeg
    PA270409.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PA270411.jpeg
    PA270411.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Now that this new information is known, I'd focus my attention towards your p trap, or lack thereof

There is a problem with your vent on the discharge, and you are getting sewer gas back in. Not sure how. But that is my first guess. And, when you put the new unit in you didn’t change the discharge, which perpetuated the problem.

Now that this new information is known, I'd focus my attention towards your p trap, or lack thereof
I agree with you. I too believe that sewer gas is the culprit. Not exactly sure what you mean by the, vent on the discharge, dishwasher or garbage disposal? I did not replace either line because the discharge line fro the dishwasher came with the washer.
I will try changing the discharge drain tube on the disposal and even lower the P-trap as to create a deeper water level to stop the sewer gas.

Actually, your p trap seems fine provided you have an accumulation of water inside of it to block off the sewer gasses

How much is known about your plumbing? Is there a window at the kitchen sink? Is it possible you have a faulty AAV instead of a vent that protrudes through your roof? All these could cause a sewer gas smell.

Back