Dirty Hot Water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baley

Reaction score
I have a new gas hot water tank which came with a magnesium anode rod. Kept getting some dirty hot water for a few seconds when turning on the tap. I changed the rod to an aluminum one and it's better but still sometimes get dirty water when I first open up the tap. I drained the tank and there's always a little dirt at the beginning. I have well water which is excellent and never any dirt from the cold water tap.
Any solutions?

you need to install a filter on the well water even though you don't see it in the cold side its because its coming out in very little amounts but the water heater is acting like a filter and capturing lots of build up and dispensing it through the hot water side.
Ben's Plumbing
100 E Center St, Provo, UT 84604
(801) 850-9087 ‎
benjaminfranklinplumbing.com

check the filter coming in it may be dirty or maybe the filter is low quality filter and is allowing some particals to get by but if it was working you wouldn't be getting sand out of fixtures maybe white hard water but not sand.

Ben's Plumbing
100 E Center St, Provo, UT 84604
(801) 850-9087 ‎
http://www.benjaminfranklinplumbing.com

The cold side is always fine. I contacted Richmond, the hot water tank brand,they deny it could be their tank but the problem is only in hot water. After you run the hot water for a couple of minutes it is clear.

You may need a sediment filter before the whole house filter. The water heater (by heating water) causes particles to fall out of suspension, hence the problem with only hot water. Have you had a water quality report done? This will give you an idea of which type(s) filter(s) you need.

There are also specific procedures to properly flush a water heater.

Not a professional but just saying.

Back