Delta faucet handle base removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i used some aluminum stock that i found at Home Depot. cut it to length, bent it at a 90 and used a spare Delta nut that i bought as a template. i used epoxy to put another piece of aluminum of the same size to double the strength to hold the nut firmly. i've used this more than once.........never a problem with this open end wrench "opening up"

To remove the minispread faucet handle base, I am guessing I need to loosen the white plastic lock nut underneath first? I couldn’t loosen it with my bare hands. I also can’t get a socket on it since the bar is blocking it. Anyone have any advice how to loosen it?

Attachments

• 7A8FBC64-CE5F-40B6-B6A9-3091941658C2.jpeg
    7A8FBC64-CE5F-40B6-B6A9-3091941658C2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
A basin wrench or cut them off with a dremel.

Or from the top there’s a plastic c clip that rests into a groove that captures the metal escutcheon. Cut that clip or pry it out.

Wear safety glasses so you don’t put your eye out

A basin wrench or cut them off with a dremel.

Or from the top there’s a plastic c clip that rests into a groove that captures the metal escutcheon. Cut that clip or pry it out.

Wear safety glasses so you don’t put your eye out
Got the old base out. How are you supposed to install the new plastic snap ring that holds the new base down?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Place the escutcheon over the valve then snap the plastic clip into the groove of the rough valve.

The whole rough valve will be loose until you tighten the plastic nuts up underneath once the clips are installed.

There should be some directions on Delta website if you pull up the faucet model number.

Place the escutcheon over the valve then snap the plastic clip into the groove of the rough valve.

The whole rough valve will be loose until you tighten the plastic nuts up underneath once the clips are installed.

There should be some directions on Delta website if you pull up the faucet model number.
I was afraid of that. I’m doing this without touching anything under the sink - so I’m not loosening the valve bodies which is one piece - valves and faucet together. The Delta instructions only say to make sure the plastic clip is installed.

The nuts below sink top must be loose in order to allow slack to get the clips installed.

Ok i was able to jerry rig it. The ring broke in half, so I put half on then shaved down the other half so the retaining nut crushed it in.

Now I’m trying to do the other handle and i can’t get the round retaining nut to budge with locking pliers. Any tips to remove it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
This round nut is really stuck. I’ve tried soaking it with a hot rag soaked in vinegar. The nut deforms when i squeeze it really hard to try to get a good grip. I’ve stripped the nut smooth with the locking pliers. My next step is to use a dremel to put grooves back on the surface and try again. I feel like I’m trying to pull Excalibur from the stone and I’m not worthy.

Any tips how to get this stubborn round bonnet nut off?

Attachments

• 788E8477-932E-4772-87D0-84E4063F2551.jpeg
    788E8477-932E-4772-87D0-84E4063F2551.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 40E07ADA-A794-45C3-92D3-9466432FEAFD.jpeg
    40E07ADA-A794-45C3-92D3-9466432FEAFD.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
This round nut is really stuck. I’ve tried soaking it with a hot rag soaked in vinegar. The nut deforms when i squeeze it really hard to try to get a good grip. I’ve stripped the nut smooth with the locking pliers. My next step is to use a dremel to put grooves back on the surface and try again. I feel like I’m trying to pull Excalibur from the stone and I’m not worthy.

Any tips how to get this stubborn round bonnet nut off?

They’re thin, you probably squeezed it.

Are you replacing the faucet ?

That nut doesn’t need to come off if you’re removing the faucet.

Grab it at the very top just tight enough to turn rather than squeeze

Grab it at the very top just tight enough to turn rather than squeeze
Thanks - I will try this and PB Blaster.

I was not planning on replacing the whole faucet but if all else fails that is my backup plan right now.

Thanks - I will try this and PB Blaster.

I was not planning on replacing the whole faucet but if all else fails that is my backup plan right now.
A rag soaked in hot vinegar was able to free up the round bonnet nut enough for a strap wrench to loosen it. Delta doesn’t make this round bonnet not anymore, not surprising since it’s awful, but they sent me RP6060 which fits and is a hex nut - much better.

I also used a Dremel to file down the inside of half of the round plastic retaining clip. This allows me to insert it on top of the escutcheon without loosening anything under the sink. It’s still just as tight and secure.

OK I’m back and replacing more escutcheons. Despite my new long socket tool, I’ve encountered a brass nut underneath that won’t budge. The handle above has been leaking water for years and the nut underneath is totally stuck. I have:

1, used a wire brush to clean off loose rust.
2. Used PB Blaster
3. Use a propane torch to heat the nut

I still can’t budge it. Suggestions? I was thinking use my Dremel to cut it off. How careful do I need to be and what is the strategy?

IMG_2942.jpegIMG_2943.jpeg

Back