Delta faucet handle base removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljw

Reaction score
I have Delta 3577 bathroom faucets. I'm trying to remove and replace the base part. According to Delta I need to only remove the handle and the bonnet nut on top (done - see photo the nut is to the right) and the base should lift off. These are 19 years old and I found the base is stuck to the sink - is there a recommended safe way to get it off without damaging the sink? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1745.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 0
Sorry, channel lock pliers will definitely scar the chrome. But the faucet handle may hide that highest tiny chrome ridge that would be scarred.
Disgusting design.

How about using a painter’s multi tool or putty knife, try to wedge it between the base that should lift off and the ceramic?

How about using a painter’s multi tool or putty knife, try to wedge it between the base that should lift off and the ceramic?
I tried hammering the tip of a pocket knife to wedge between the base and the ceramic sink - no luck and the base did not budge at all. Makes me wonder if the base is attached somehow, or just really stuck to the ceramic after all these years?

Remove the valve from the sink or at least loosen it from below. Hold the valve then unscrew the chrome escutcheon. It doesn’t matter if you scratch the old one if you’re replacing it. Don’t let your pliers slip and damage the threads where the cartridge nut screw on to the valve. Very important.

At this point that’s the best way if the escutcheon won’t simply unscrew.

Those delta valves will last 50 yrs with good water. I have some on my lavatory that are 25 yrs old and are no where near end of life.

Those chrome escutcheons are screwed onto the valve body. To remove turn the chrome escutcheon counterclockwise while holding the valve body stationary underneath the lavatory.

I tried hammering the tip of a pocket knife to wedge between the base and the ceramic sink - no luck and the base did not budge at all. Makes me wonder if the base is attached somehow, or just really stuck to the ceramic after all these years?

Yes, they’re screwed onto the valve body. You’ll break the lavatory or finish if you pry on the escutcheon.

Here’s a pic. The escutcheon marked in red is screwed onto the threads marked in blue.

35E88485-37E6-47FF-9315-607322332379.jpeg

Thanks everyone. You are all correct, the escutcheon is screwed onto the valve threads - Delta gave me the wrong information.

I'm replacing the escutcheons due to corrosion - Delta was nice enough to send me replacements. I don't see a good way to grip the escutcheon and unscrew it, so I will need to release the retaining nut from the valve below the sink first.

The area underneath is really tight (pictured) and the Harbor Freight basin wrench I got is too big to get in there. So I ordered a knockoff Rigid-style tool (pictured) - hoping that will work.

Attachments

• PXL_20230820_070126677.jpg
    PXL_20230820_070126677.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • wrench.jpg
    wrench.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
I’m very frustrated! There is a 1.3” wide nut (Delta RP9519) screwed into the valve body underneath the sink holding everything together that I need to loosen. The darn nut is really thin - only 1/4” thick. First I sprayed it with WD-40. Then I tried 3 different basin wrenches but I’m having trouble grabbing the thin nut securely and when I do, I can’t apply enough torque to budge it. It is also a really tight area. Anyone have any suggestions for the right tool or how to loosen this nut?

9FD0CEE9-9F58-4273-8B4F-29DC0784F86F.jpeg

I use a deep socket. Like the kind used to remove tub stems.

You have to remove the hose going to the spout like you’ve done. Then disconnect the water supply from the valve inlet. Then slip the socket over the copper tube up to the nut and unscrew it counter clockwise. I grab the socket with a basin wrench or channelock pliers. Whatever works

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EASTMAN...VaHZvBB3mIAW3EAQYAyABEgLCn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

First off is the fact that WD 40 is a water displacement liquid. What you need is PB Blaster, which penetrates, lubricates, and dissolves grime. If you are not as fortunate to have a huge arse socket like Twowax is describing, get a basin wrench, curl up in a ball so you can get under the cabinet, and use one hand holding the jaws of the basin wrench, while the other hand is twisting counter clockwise. I've done this many times.

First off is the fact that WD 40 is a water displacement liquid. What you need is PB Blaster, which penetrates, lubricates, and dissolves grime. If you are not as fortunate to have a huge arse socket like Twowax is describing, get a basin wrench, curl up in a ball so you can get under the cabinet, and use one hand holding the jaws of the basin wrench, while the other hand is twisting counter clockwise. I've done this many times.
That nut on the Delta is thin and it’s pretty big. It’s very difficult to get a good grip on it with a basin wrench.

That’s why I like to use a socket if it’s tight.

Then still the whole assembly might rotate in the hole and not unscrew.

It might have to be held by the escutcheon from the top. It’s kinda hard to grab also. I use knipex pliers that are thin and very sharp toothed. They bite and grab like a pit bull. $60 a set.

I honestly can't understand how plumbers get a third hand when needed, unless there are two of you on the truck. Would you ever ask the homeowner to help hold the faucet from spinning? Is this common practice for a plumber working alone? I really am curious on how it is done, unless you use some prying or fulcrum methods? I guess a nice set of Vice Grips would stop the rotation?

I honestly can't understand how plumbers get a third hand when needed, unless there are two of you on the truck. Would you ever ask the homeowner to help hold the faucet from spinning? Is this common practice for a plumber working alone? I really am curious on how it is done, unless you use some prying or fulcrum methods? I guess a nice set of Vice Grips would stop the rotation?

Visegrips underneath or cut the nut off.

Having a helper can make things a lot easier.

I never let the customer help. In this exact instance if the wrenches fail I would cut the nut off.

Depending on how the lavatory is installed, I’ve taken the entire lavatory out and worked on it then reinstalled it.

That Delta is brass though, it’ll come apart based off looking at the pics. It doesn’t looked bad at all. It’s just tight and hard to get to.

I use a deep socket. Like the kind used to remove tub stems.

You have to remove the hose going to the spout like you’ve done. Then disconnect the water supply from the valve inlet. Then slip the socket over the copper tube up to the nut and unscrew it counter clockwise. I grab the socket with a basin wrench or channelock pliers. Whatever works

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EASTMAN...VaHZvBB3mIAW3EAQYAyABEgLCn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks, I will try these sockets!

Ok the sockets did the trick! Initially they weren't long enough, but I figured out to attach two together to make a really long socket that gave me enough room to easily torque with a wrench (photo attached). Easy enough to replace the handle hardware after loosening the nut under the sink.

Now I have a new challenge with the two faucets in the kids bathroom, which are more tightly spaced and use completely different hardware under the sink. There is a bar running across under the sink and a white plastic nut that looks to be holding the valve and handle assembly together. See photos - what do I need to do exactly to loosen these handle bases from under the sink?

Attachments

• PXL_20230918_054429789.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230918_054429789.MP.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230917_231154437.jpg
    PXL_20230917_231154437.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230917_231145094.jpg
    PXL_20230917_231145094.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
awhile back, i made this "tool" so that i could gain access to the RP9519 nuts on my Delta faucets. I have limited access to them between the deep stainless sink and the cabinet. This "tool" works great. a basin wrench didn't cut it. Even marked it off/on......being upside down in the cabinet sometimes i forget....lol

Attachments

• WIN_20230918_10_39_27_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230918_10_39_27_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20230918_10_39_16_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230918_10_39_16_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • WIN_20230918_10_38_37_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230918_10_38_37_Pro.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
awhile back, i made this "tool" so that i could gain access to the RP9519 nuts on my Delta faucets. I have limited access to them between the deep stainless sink and the cabinet. This "tool" works great. a basin wrench didn't cut it. Even marked it off/on......being upside down in the cabinet sometimes i forget....lol
That would have been exactly what I needed. What did you make it out of? I'm surprised you were able to make that out of something sturdy enough to torque.

Back