Crooked Toilet Flange in Concrete

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axolotl

Reaction score
We are having a bathroom remodeled and there is a problem with the toilet flange. The original flange was set in the concrete slab, and was both too low and leaned to one side, which caused recurring leaks. We had hoped to have it replaced as part of the remodel, but have run into some issues. It turns out the reason the original flange was tilted is that the drain pipe that it is connected to is not vertical. It leans about 4 degrees to one side causing the flange to lean with it. The contractor has ground the flange down to somewhat flush with the concrete slab but we are having trouble coming to agreement on where to go from here.
Exisiting Flange.jpg
Existing Flange Profile.jpg

We see three possible paths going forward, and each of them has drawbacks.

Option 1 - Chisel out the old flange and set a new one. This was our original plan, but I'm concerned it won't work with the leaning drain pipe. When I slide a standard (internal) PVC flange inside the existing flange it leans significantly just like the old one did. Is there a way to set a flange level on a pipe with this much lean?
Crooked PVC in exisitng flange.jpg

Option 2 - Use a "repair" flange like a Sioux Chief PushTite or Oatey Twist-N-Set. This would be easy to install and might be adjustable enough to sit level despite the crooked drain pipe. It would need something (what?) underneath it to stabilize it. However, this feels like a poor long-term solution. The rubber seals will inevitable compress and I fear they would not remain gas/water tight over time. This is of particular concern on the ground floor as the toilet would be the first place in the house that water would back up if there was a clog in the main house drain.
Temp Flanges.jpg
Temp Flange with Tile.jpg

Option 3 - Cut the slab and install a new drain pipe and flange. This might be the best long-term solution, but would be very difficult. The slab is over 8 inches thick and is 50 years old. Almost half of the slab sits on unstable fill dirt on a steep hill so we would prefer not to stress it or risk creating cracks using a jackhammer.

We are open to suggestions. I can provide more photos if needed.

For you the easiest thing would be to remove the flange that the contractor ground down. Install your finished floor……..

Then use one of the flanges with the gasket. Anchor the flange through the tile and into the concrete.

Sooooo... no hope for option 1? Is the 4 degree lean of the drain pipe going to make it impossible to glue a new PVC flange on level? I suppose a secondary problem is that the drain pipe is also too short, as the original flange was set into the concrete slab.

I had a similar issue, and I used the "Sioux Chief PushTite". But like you, I had a small concern about the rubber failing. So, I took a wax seal, melted it, and poured it over the rubber "fingers" filling the voids and a lot of the pipe above the "fingers". I built it up like you would make a candle, i.e. several layers. I had pre-drilled the anchor holes in the concrete, pushed it into the crooked pipe, and screwed it down. I thought about using a heat gun to warm the PushTite, but I didn't do that. The wax extruded around the fitting, and I felt I had a good seal just the way it was.

I’ve used a heat gun to soften the pvc and mold it to the floor.

Pvc looses some of its flexibility after you heat and mold it. It’s impact resistance is lower.

I’ve used a heat gun to soften the pvc and mold it to the floor.

Pvc looses some of its flexibility after you heat and mold it. It’s impact resistance is lower.
Yes, it does.

But I was only going to use the heat to melt the wax a bit to assure a good seal between the drainpipe and the PushTite fitting. As the wax extruded out all around the fitting, I called it good without using the heat gun.

Yes, it does.

But I was only going to use the heat to melt the wax a bit to assure a good seal between the drainpipe and the PushTite fitting. As the wax extruded out all around the fitting, I called it good without using the heat gun.

I use a heat gun to make crooked pvc flanges lay flat.

It’s nothing to do with what you’ve posted.

Back