color of ABS?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaken-n-stirred

Reaction score
If you buy ABS pipe it is black in color and PVC is white. Some products such as waste and overflow kits say they are ABS, but the picture of the product shows the pieces as being white. What gives? If this is all above board, do you use regular ABS glue to marry the (white) kit to the black ABS pipe.

No interracial jokes please, LOL.

Thanks all

As far as I know the white is all PVC whether it is drain or water parts. I don't deal with abs in my trade so I am not very knowledgeable in that area.

I have saw white ABS shower drains and blue ABS well caps, never a white ABS tub drain. ABS is what's primarily used here, and like 99% of it is black. On the white ABS shower drain I used Schwarts yellow cement and it worked fine.

Abs can be any color you want it o be.

lego's
330px-Lego_Color_Bricks.jpg

are made from ABS.

Pictures on items are not always the exact item being sold.
ABS and PVC are very different types of plastic. requires a special glue to join them together, which is usually green.

As for the pictures not always being what you get.

Sure the picture of the "ABS" waste and overflow kit might be really a picture of a PVC version. However, I purchased a washer valve kit which says it is ABS and it is white as well. It is true that I would not wish for that valve box to be black, so if they can make abs plastic in the color white -- so good. But for a hidden drain assembly it makes things seem more tricky as you can not LOOK at it and know that you can glue it up to PVC or ABS.

Hmm?

Back