Cold water mixing into hot pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spread589

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to home ownership and to plumbing. I am currently having an issue where I cannot get any hot water unless I turn on a faucet to hot somewhere down the line. So in order to take a hot shower, the kitchen faucet needs to be turned on hot.
I have been able to follow the hot water line from the hot water heater to the wash machine to my second bedroom sink, then shower, then kitchen sink' then finally to the master bathroom sink and tub.
I have gone through the house and shut all the water valves to the sinks and still got no hot water in the shower or any other faucet. Today I closed the valve to the hot water heater but I still got full cold water pressure out of all hot sides of the faucets.
I prefer to do my own work but I can't figure this one out on my own. I would like to hear some suggestions before I call a professional.

Do you have a recirculating system on the hot water line? Do you have a heating system that uses hot water from the water heater to heat?

You may have a failed check valve. This may be at the shower connections or on the pipework before the shower. A check valve is a sprong loaded one way valve. They have a tendency to stick open therefore making the valve bidirectional. To detect isolate individual items from the hot snd cold supply. In my experience showers are the worst offenders. So isolate hot and cold supply to the shower then check the draw offs elsewhere. If you are getting hot water then you know the shower wad yhe culprit. If the same syptoms persist open the supplies to the shower then check the next item that mixes hot and cold water such as a mixer tap on a sink or basin. Once you have found the faulty item you maybe able to remove and clean or replace it.

Do you have a recirculating system on the hot water line? Do you have a heating system that uses hot water from the water heater to heat?

No recirculation system or heating system in place just a pipe going from the water heater to eventually the master bathroom spa style tub.

I will check the shower check valve today and update if I find anything. I just can't see the second bathroom shower being the culprit since its so close to the water heater. I still get hot water to the rest of the house if I turn on the the last thing on the line(master tub).

No recirculation system or heating system in place just a pipe going from the water heater to eventually the master bathroom spa style tub.

I will check the shower check valve today and update if I find anything. I just can't see the second bathroom shower being the culprit since its so close to the water heater. I still get hot water to the rest of the house if I turn on the the last thing on the line(master tub).
The part I put in bold, does this mean that the tub is not installed or hooked up yet? If so, check to see if the hot and cold lines are looped together there. If so, that is the cause of your problem.

I took off the ball valve , I cleaned everything and put it back together. I'm unsure where the problem is.

ForumRunner_20131208_163350.jpg

ForumRunner_20131208_163528.jpg

Well, a pipe in the ceiling of my garage apparently froze and busted last night. so, I think its time to call a professional... sad times for a new home owner.

We sorry to hear this. If possible, please post pics on the burst pipe and help others by explaining why the pipe burst. Was the ceiling non-insulated, an exposed cold air draft, or was it just because much of the country if currently in a deep freeze?

The pipe is in a some what insulated attic space, I will try to take pictures when I get home from work. I am unsure why there is a pipe above the ceiling in the garage but that appears to be another issue.

A ton of drywall and insulation had. To be tossed. It appears that the pipe bursted in at least 3 spots. Two in the ceiling the other in the wall. The plumber came by and replaced the section with pex tubing.

We tried to figure out my hot water issue but it got late and he had to leave. He narrowed it down to either a crossed connection at the master tub or a pair of mystery lines that head up the wall near kitchen sink.

ForumRunner_20131210_201203.jpg

ForumRunner_20131210_201622.jpg

Latest posts

Back