Clearing Deposits from Shower Drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA2DC

Reaction score
Our shower drain started backing up so I took off the cover and used a long hooked drain tool to get out all of the hair blocking the drain.

Once I finish that I look down the drain and noticed that a good portion of the drain pipe diameter was filled with what looked like white deposits on the sides of the pipe. I used a screwdriver to gently pry away some large chunks of the higher up deposits and then pulled them out with needle nose pliers.

Upon inspection the white deposit are surprisingly solid, have a crystalline consistency and crunch a little when you squeeze them. I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do from a DIY perspective to clear this crap out (liquids/powders, etc) or do I need to call a professional.

I have a drill powered snake from HD, but given how hard this white substance is caked on the pipes (I really had to hammer at it with a screwdriver to loosen the large pieces I extracted), I’m skeptical a snake will have much effect.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have that might help.

Attachments

• 0661BDE5-E9BC-48BB-A333-B1CE38BC9FE0.jpeg
    0661BDE5-E9BC-48BB-A333-B1CE38BC9FE0.jpeg
    873.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 02D2BF26-38F3-459C-AF7C-C42EEB3F762E.jpeg
    02D2BF26-38F3-459C-AF7C-C42EEB3F762E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
By looking at the picture it seems to be a lot of hair and soap buildup. Probably should call a good drain cleaning
company in your area. Be careful digging with a screw driver in the drain as a leak could get started then you
will have more of a mess.

You definitely want to run a snake down there, and while you're running the snake very gently you want to run some hot water to loosen up the buildup. having soap in there is fine but it catches all the hair in order to prevent this in the future you'll want to have a decent screen grid that you can easily pull off and clean

Latest posts

Back