City water bypass for well pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And for the record, it applies to the entire State of Alabama. It’s State Law.
Actually it’s Federal! The “Safe Water Drinking Act”. Feds dictate to the states and then down to local AHJ’s.

I think the act is old (1970s) but they keep tightening it up. I had a simple vacuum breaker for my irrigation system in Michigan installed in 1992. No inspections necessary then. Then a few years ago, the city I lived in there started requiring compliance with periodic testing. Each summer season they’d focus on one area of the city, demand testing or removal of your irrigation connection. Problem in Michigan was there were only a limited number of certified testers around, and they charged $125. I basically ignored it all and just moved.

Actually it’s Federal! The “Safe Water Drinking Act”. Feds dictate to the states and then down to local AHJ’s.

I think the act is old (1970s) but they keep tightening it up. I had a simple vacuum breaker for my irrigation system in Michigan installed in 1992. No inspections necessary then. Then a few years ago, the city I lived in there started requiring compliance with periodic testing. Each summer season they’d focus on one area of the city, demand testing or removal of your irrigation connection. Problem in Michigan was there were only a limited number of certified testers around, and they charged $125. I basically ignored it all and just moved.
It’s in our plumbing code. I’ve never read any thing federal about not allowing public and private water supplies to be connected.

I agree that a RPZ would work but that doesn’t matter, it’s simplynot allowed to connect the two in Alabama. The code reads “ shall not “ and doesn’t give an exception

I don’t know what other states require or don’t require, but I actually made the call and got a definite on this one.

Last edited:
And for the record, it applies to the entire State of Alabama. It’s State Law.
My county doesn't even issue building permits. The Alabama code defers to county and municipalities.
Thanks again to all who commented.

I searched the Safe Water Drinking Act but could not find any reference to cross connecting public and residential water line. It seemed to only talk about levels of contamination. But of course I didn't read the entire act.

Not sure how well water could flow into the county water lines as the valve at the water meter would be closed except when the well pump is not working due to maintenance or power failure. When water valve is opened there will be no pressure from the well pump to back flow. When pump is running there is no open connection to county water. Especially with a check valve or RPV. But do understand how it is against the code.

Its amazing how my county doesn't have any building permits or inspectors. No enforcement of the Alabama codes.

Last edited:
My county doesn't even issue building permits. The Alabama code defers to county and municipalities.
Thanks again to all who commented.
The state of Alabama plumbers and gas fitters examining board has jurisdiction.

There’s a code enforcement official assigned to your area. There’s one for various parts of the entire state.45073D77-5772-43C1-8DD5-65E612A192CA.jpeg
CE830F91-2732-4AE5-875F-FD7F95554D24.jpeg

Give them a call and get in touch with the official assigned to your area.

The state code prohibits what you’d like to do. The lack of a code official for your county gives the state the responsibility to adherence to the state code.

Fun fact for you. The May 11th, 1970 tornado that came through Lubbock took out the water utilities. Everyone who had a well allowed the city to tie them into the city main. They just ran their pumps for weeks to share water until the city got the water system back to working. I bought my house in 1980 and it still had a connection to the city with just a ball valve closed.

Fun fact for you. The May 11th, 1970 tornado that came through Lubbock took out the water utilities. Everyone who had a well allowed the city to tie them into the city main. They just ran their pumps for weeks to share water until the city got the water system back to working. I bought my house in 1980 and it still had a connection to the city with just a ball valve closed.

Yeah, pick any hurricane that’s hit the gulf coast and then count the thousands of people with water wells that have no power for 2-3 weeks and therefore no water.

Or take now for example. There’s nothing going on and my friend can’t get anyone to even come out to look at his well that’s not working. Meanwhile he’s paid the city water fee and engineering has already marked where to cut the street to tie him onto the city water.

Wells are great if you don’t need a reliable water source that’s expensive to maintain.

Reading this forum proves that. Search “ well pump broke “ and read for DAYS.

Another fun fact.

Methodist Hospital drilled their own well after the big tornado so they wouldn’t be relying on one source of water.

They haven’t used it once in the past 50 years. They operate the pump once a week to make sure it works.

There’s no need to connect the two sources together in Alabama and the law agrees with me. End of story until the law is changed and that’s not going to happen.

Contacted the Alabama Dept of Environmental Management, Drinking Water Division. They said I could connect the County water to my existing water line from the well to my house as long as there was a backflow prevention device installed on the meter. Contacted the County water authority. They said there was a backflow prevention device installed on the meter when the water line was installed. The ADEM rep also said they defer to the County/city water authority.

Interesting. Never ceases to amaze me getting things done in Alabama.

But you didn’t ask the Alabama Plumbers board and gas fitters board officials who are in charge of enforcing the law.

I even posted the info on how to contact them. 🤣✌️

There’s no legit need to connect the two sources.

Even if and RPZ or double check is not enough for code there are still ways to legally have both a water well and city water sources. One is to have a hose with a quick connector attached to the house or irrigation system. The other end of the hose can be quick connected to either the city water line or the line from the well. The hose from the house can easily be switched from city to well or vise versa, but there is no way that both sources can be connected at the same time. I learned this from working on the irrigation systems at Texas Tech. A lot of cities use city water and/or well water for irrigation. City water doesn't cost the city like it does and individual as the city already owns the water and doesn't get a bill. The same hose and quick connector thing will work for a house.

Another way is to use a cistern or storage tank to supply the house. The cistern can be filled by well water and/or city water. Using an air gap there is no way the city and well sources could ever be connected. I have done this with the float for the city water line set lower than the well pump line. In this way the more expensive city water only supplements the well water when needed or works as a backup when the well is not functioning.

Having an optional source of water is a good idea when possible, as it keeps you from having all your eggs in the same basket. I have never needed to open the meter to the city in almost 40 years, but I pay the 18 bucks a month meter fee just for the peace of mind of having a backup water supply. That hospital that drilled a well they haven't used in 50 years also has peace of mind that it is there. May not be anyone around that still remembers why. But you know what they say about forgetting our history. A house may never need a backup supply either. But if it is used just once it could save a marriage, a Thanksgiving dinner, or even a week when the in-laws moved in on you. Lol!

Without power no one’s pumping anything so the story about people pumping their wells into city mains after a storm doesn’t make much sense to me.

You’re in the well business. I expect you to like wells. Enough said. Have a great day sir 👍

We had power pretty soon. Just took a while to put up new water towers and have city water again. Everybody in the country has generators. I have to manually turn mine on. But I hear my neighbors gen set come on just a few seconds after a power outage. Lol!

I like city water also. Some people do not have a choice. Others can have either or both if they want. Hope you are having a good day as well! :)

The hospital not having to use their well EVER is a strong testimony for city water.

But there’s nothing wrong with having a well, I think it’s super great.

I just believe that city water is more reliable over time. If you have both then you’re ahead of the game.

If you have to choose between one or the other, I’d pick city water every time based off all things considered in the year 2022.

Just like me not having to open the valve to the city meter EVER is a strong testimony for well water.

But I do appreciate having the option if it is ever needed.

If I HAD to choose one or the other I would pick my own well water and would store an extra pump, generator, and maybe even a hand pump. With all the things that have happened in the last couple of years you never know what tomorrow will bring. I don't think it is safe to be completely dependent on others for my water, food, protection, etc..

Brings back fond memories as I used to live in Muleshoe.

Just like me not having to open the valve to the city meter EVER is a strong testimony for well water.

But I do appreciate having the option if it is ever needed.

If I HAD to choose one or the other I would pick my own well water and would store an extra pump, generator, and maybe even a hand pump. With all the things that have happened in the last couple of years you never know what tomorrow will bring. I don't think it is safe to be completely dependent on others for my water, food, protection, etc..
Your well system never failing is pure luck. And if it does break you have the material and the labor to repair. Other people are having to wait on labor and parts, sometimes for weeks.

A hand pump wouldn’t help a person will a deep well.

Generators take fuel, maintenance and must be initially purchased. Extra parts and pumps cost money. I don’t need to buy an extra water meter or parts.

I’d rather just pay a $40 water bill and just turn the faucet on.

City water is the standard you compare to your cycle stop valve……” similar to strong constant city pressure “ as you’ve said…

I hate that well guys are so unreliable these days. But it is not just well guys, every profession is having the same problem. I can't get anyone qualified to work on my car, fix my refrigerator, or AC unit. Too many people with college degrees they think makes them too qualified to get their hands dirty, so they just don't have a job. You just can't get good help with anything these days, which is why DIY forums are popular. At the house I live in now, I made the mistake of paying the plumber all but the last 5K and he would not show up and finish the job. No other plumber would come over and finish the job either. The plumber broke out concrete from both showers and moved the drain pipe a couple of times because he couldn't get them in the right place. My shower floors are weak feeling because of this. Then he just would not show back up and finish the job. I had to install all the fixtures and appliances myself. So, plumbers are not any better than well guys.

I hate to talk bad about government officials, because there are some out there who are actually trying to do good for the public. But counting on city water means counting on city officials to know what they are doing. Unfortunately many government employees are such because they couldn't make it in the private sector, or want a job where they cannot be fired even for being incompetent.

A proper well uses a pitless adapter and has all the pipes underground as well. No worries about freezing, wasp nest, etc. Luck doesn't have much to do with making a pump system last, except for maybe the occasional lightning strike.. Just eliminate the cycling like when using a Cycle Stop Valve and the pump will last a long time. You will also never wear out a pressure switch, check valve, bladder tank, etc.

Many hand pumps WILL work with a deep well. Gonna have a generator anyway, even without a well, as I don't trust anyone else to supply power when it is really needed. Many people just want to pay someone else to take care of everything for them. I am not that kind of person. And that 40 bucks a month for water easily turns into 200-300 bucks a month for water if you have a small yard or garden. With a small farm and animals I would not be able to afford city water. And yes a Cycle Stop Valve can make a pump system deliver water at even stronger pressure than a city water supply.

Latest posts

Back