City water bypass for well pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkerpv

Reaction score
I have well water with an inground pump. The city installed water lines with meter is appx 100 ft from well pump location. Well pump is 200+ ft from house. I want to connect to city water in case well pump stops working. What is best way to connect city water to House water lines and bypass well pump without running new water lines to house.

find the pipe going to the house and cut it. Connect the city water pipe there.

Keep the well and the house completely separate.

That was my idea at first. but wanted to see if there was a better way to do it. So leave city water meter valve off until needed. If needed turn pump off at circuit breaker and open valve at meter.. Only new lines needed are from meter to location between pump and house. Check?

Do I need to install a check valve between pump and intersecting line from meter. or will water flow from meter not affect pump.

In my jurisdiction a public and private water source can in no way be connected together at a residence.

I live in a county that has very few building codes. Amazing isn't it.

Everyone in my neighborhood had private wells when the county ran the water lines a few years ago. Some of them have hooked up to the city/county water. I am sure they don't have completely new water lines to their residences. They are using the same water lines from the well. They just made some kind of interface which is what i am trying to do. I think a check valve would keep the waters from mixing.

It will be an illegal connection anywhere in the state of Alabama.
I live in a county that has very few building codes. Amazing isn't it.

Everyone in my neighborhood had private wells when the county ran the water lines a few years ago. Some of them have hooked up to the city/county water. I am sure they don't have completely new water lines to their residences. They are using the same water lines from the well. They just made some kind of interface which is what i am trying to do. I think a check valve would keep the waters from mix

It’s illegal in my jurisdiction, prohibited by the water provider. It’s strictly enforced.

I was told the entire state followed this for residences. I suggest the original poster check with the county health department in which they reside or with the State of Alabama Plumbers and gas fitters board.
A backflow preventer is a way to connect city water to private well.
Reduced Pressure Zone backflow devices are allowed even in the nanny-state of California.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Watts-0065373-1-LF919-QT-Bronze-RPZ-Assembly-Lead-FreeAlways add a wye strainer to prevent fouling.
View attachment 37831
022BC49C-AA73-44AD-B619-43ACB5277010.jpeg
It’s simply not allowed, period.

It is illegal in many states. Cross contamination is a concern. In my case I don't they don't want my pristine well water mixing in with their chlorinated and fishy smelling city water. Lol! An RPZ is allowed in most places, as breplum mentioned. Our local university uses an air gap. Which is a hose with a quick connect that can either be attached to the well or city water, but not both.

If you can use an RPZ just tee the city line into the well line anywhere after the RPZ. If the city has less pressure than the well water you won't even need to close a ball valve. But without a ball valve the source with the highest pressure will be supplying the water. If the well pressure switch is set higher than city pressure, the city will supply water if the well pump quits without needing to open a valve.

There are no provisions for testing residential backflow prevention in my jurisdiction so it’s not allowed.

I encourage the original poster to do his due diligence before connecting the two in any way.

I do doubt the OP will be willing to purchase an expensive RPZ. Most just want to join the two 100% with pipe or have a bypass built. You know, cheap and illegal. 🤡

But I won’t tell if y’all don’t tell. 🤡

It’s illegal in my jurisdiction, prohibited by the water provider. It’s strictly enforced.

I was told the entire state followed this for residences. I suggest the original poster check with the county health department in which they reside or with the State of Alabama Plumbers and gas fitters board.

View attachment 37832
It’s simply not allowed, period.
Item 5 is typical. When approved device has a permit, the permit process locks in required annual testing.

Item 5 is typical. When approved device has a permit, the permit process locks in required annual testing.

read number 2 🤣

But im going to give them a call tomorrow and ask this specific question.

" I have a private well with pump at my residence and I want to connect city water to the well piping separated by a RPZ assembly, will you approve it ? "

And see what the answer is. I do not believe they will aoprove it, no matter what device you install.

So tomorrow I'll have an answer at least for my county and area water provider.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone's comments. I have checked with the county water authority and there is no regulation preventing a connection from the city/county water meter to residential well pump water lines. Amazing as it seems.

I appreciate everyone's comments. I have checked with the county water authority and there is no regulation preventing a connection from the city/county water meter to residential well pump water lines. Amazing as it seems.
I just left a message for the guy in my area. I’m just checking for my own benefit and knowledge. I was told once before it’s not allowed for residential but that was then and this is now.

it may be true in some jurisdictions. This is not the first time I've found no regulations for certain projects.

An RPZ is plenty of protection from cross contamination. Usually these "codes" are written to protect the cities ability tp charge everyone for water, not so much to protect the water supply from contamination.

An RPZ is plenty of protection from cross contamination. Usually these "codes" are written to protect the cities ability tp charge everyone for water, not so much to protect the water supply from contamination.
They don’t care what water you use, they just don’t want your well connected to their pipes. So it’s nothing about charging people.

And for the record, it applies to the entire State of Alabama. It’s State Law.

Back