Can't find an exact replacement shower valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTTeancum

Reaction score
I'm sure this is a common story for first time home plumbers. I've always fixed everything on my cars and around the house, but when trying to free the cartridge from my valve I scored the inside, causing a forever leak unless I use the valve's shutoffs.

I'm hoping to find a direct replacement as I'm not an expert, so positioning of the in/outlets and roughly the same measurements are what I'd like to do, but I'm having trouble identifying this valve. Any help would be much appreciated.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GDOZdhM

That is a Moen. I believe it is a moen positemp. I would suggest calling Moen, and sending them the pictures. They are extremely helpful.

My dilemma is more that the new Posi-Temp valves have inlets/outlets lined up, whereas my old one has the outlets offset behind the inlets. I'm guessing I'm not going to find something direct and will have to just modify my setup. I'm concerned with having to line things up while keeping them secure.

Shark bites and pex tubing could be used to make the job simple.

I am not a fan of buried sharkbites, but they are listed for that. If buying a new rough-in valve, buy one that is setup for pex. Then cut the existing copper pipes, and either solder on a pex adapter, or use a sharkbite coupling. Neither is difficult to do.

So my only concern when swapping to pex would be securing the valve so it doesn't move around. Looking closer just now they have those wooden stops the the outlet pipes to sure it up as you put the faucet fact back on. How would I secure it otherwise? Sorry for the green questions here - I've never done a shower before.

*EDIT*
Heh, should have taken a few breaths. The faceplate screws into the valve, which sures it up. Sorry for the freak out.

Last edited:
Please send picture of the “scoring” you did. It would be dam near impossible to fatally mess up that positemp valve on the inside where it makes a seal.

It's uhh... bad. I got angry and was trying to free the remaining pieces with a drill bit. I was most definitely not thinking whatsoever when I went that far. But the cartridge kept coming out in chunks and I didn't know what to do at that point as I couldn't just leave it like that. Wish I had thought about using the posi-temp screws to shut the water down (which is what I ended up doing).

I got it free all right, but you can see the deep swirls of the drill bit in the sides. I just can't see fixing that, even with some sort of honing. If I get a chance I'll grab some pics if you think I still should.

Latest posts

Back