Build up in cast iron pipe bend -> new high pressure toilet to fix?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTJeff99

Reaction score
Hello I am having repeated problems with build up in my cast iron pipe at the first bend in the pipes below the toilet.

I had a plumber out two weeks ago and he snaked the line and used a fiber optic camera to check the lines. There was some build up in the lines, so he used a motorized plumbing auger to clean out the inside of the pipe. He ran a camera down again and the pipe looked a lot better.

So about two weeks later I start having some flushing problems, so after plunging didn't fix it, I called the plumber back (through my home warranty company)

He was able to see a blockage of poop and toilet paper. He was able to use the snake and wash the rest of it down, the pipe looked ok inside afterwards from his camera.

So my plumber is recommending a pressure assisted toilet. To force everything down and help break it up so it won't stick to the pipe.

Anyone have any advice with build up in old cast / iron pipes or have experience with high pressure toilets?

The current toilet is a sterling 1.6 gpf bowl / with it appears a replacement 1.2 gpf tanks (with a styrofoam insert).

Not sure if I should try taking the styrofoam out or should get traditional Gravity flush toilet with a high MaP Flush Score, or if i should go with a high pressure flush toilet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:
Taking the styrofoam out would have no effect, its there to prevent condensation.

A pressure assisted toilet like a mansfield would help, it could be a good time to start thinking about replaing the old cast if its starting to deteriorate.

It seems to me that the old cast iron sewer line is the problem and the home warranty company is just avoiding the primary problem, which is common with these companies.

Years ago, I used a similar warranty company because I had a cracked toilet tank, so they replaced it with a different style and color of tank. When I complained about my multi-colored toilet, it took several months and several photos and letters to return and correctly fix my problem.

Thanks for the responses.

The home warranty company has said its not covered, so I was hoping to wait to replace the cast iron pipe till I redo my bathroom since I will have to jack hammer the slab and replace the tile to get to the cast iron pipe..

I don't think that a pressure assist toilet will resolve the problem. I have seen numerous service calls where a consumer has done as you plan and the line still clogs. The plumber that installed the toilet(s) will then condemn another part of the piping and "up-sell" the job in addition to already having the new toilet sale from before.
So, I'm with havasu.
The problem is not the toilet, but the pipe.
The pressure assist toilet may but you some time until you can afford the work on the pipes to be done, but be sure to shop around on pricing if you go in that direction. Pressure assist toilets are very comparable in cost to quality gravity toilets and some plumbers exaggerate the features to charge a huge mark up in price.
Also keep in mind that sometimes weaknesses and defects in cast iron can be exacerbated by the use of a pressure assist.

Back