Bubbling up from sump pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotMrFixIt

Reaction score
first off, I've done a search and didn't get any results for bubbles and sump pump. Now onto what I'm experiencing.

I have bubbles coming up from my sump pump. In my basement I have a sump pump(obviously). For the past 4-5 months now I have been hearing bubbling noises coming from my sump pump closet. Origionally I thought it was the sump pump running then the water rushing back down the 4 ft pipe and coming back into the hole as this was a common occurance. I think this means there is no check valve on the pipe. There is also a toilet in my basement and this has it's own sewer hole with a pump. This pumps it up and out to the sewer line exit (which is seperate from the Sump pump exit hole. This tells me that my sump pump and sewer are connected to two seperate outputs. (Atleast on the inside of the house. What they do on the outside and whether the lines connect is still unknown to me). Now after doing more investigation, as some patientce to actually wait in the storage room long enough that I could actually witness what was happening, I discovered that the sump pump has bubbles coming out of it. by bubbles I mean that there is some sort of air/Gas that is coming back up the sump pump line that it is actually bubbling out of the sump pump and bubbles are coming out the water that the pump is sitting in. From what I can tell it doesn't stink (I didn't bury my face in it, but if it was sewer gas or something I would think I would be able to smell that). The water level is fairly low in the pump area so my pump hasn't been running much. I thought maybe it was the air lock or whatever it is called, but seeing as the thing hasn't ran much and the bubbles happen fairly regularly that they really are not related. I am tempted to put a check valve in the line above my sump pump, but I'm more concerned why I'm getting the air bubbles now, over 2 years after moving in. Would that imply that the output line may be plugged up some how? I think my neighbor's sump pump and mine may pump into the same exit line. Could their sump pump pumping be forcing the air back up mine if the line is plugged? In addition should I be concerned if the water level in the sump pump area is completely dry or almost dry?

Bubbles could mean many things, but if the sump is dry I wouldnt be concerned. You could try filling the sump with a hose and some water to ensure that it Does work as intended but as long as the water is going out I wouldnt stress it.

If you and your neighbor are connected to the same line and the line has a partial stoppage it could be forcing some air back up your line when his pump is running.

John

Sump works fine . That was my concern, thanks for confirming, john. I attached pics of the setup invade anybody was interested.

2012-02-06 16.45.30.jpg

2012-02-06 16.45.47.jpg

2012-02-07 09.00.36.jpg

Back