blowing out hot water shower opening

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soutthpaw07

Reaction score
Hi I think I have sediment causing low pressure in my hot water pipe for one of my showers/bathtub because the hot water pressure is low coming out of the bath spout and showerhead for only this one shower/bath. It started after I replaced the shower cartridge for stiff and squeaky shower handle (there's only 1 handle that controls the hot and cold water) and then turned the main water back on and then the squeaky stiff handle problem was solved but now I had low hot water pressure. I replaced the Cartridge thinking it was plugged causing restricted hot water flow but that didn't fix the problem. I had never flushed my hot water heater so I think it is probably sediment thats blocking the hot water pipe when I turned the water main back on too quickly and it shot sediment into the hot water pipe. The hot water heater was 15 years old and was going out because the hot water was lasting less and less time so the hot water was probably full of a lot of sediment. The hot water heater was replaced but it still didn't correct the issue and I still have low hot water pressure from only this one shower/bath. I was reading online to use air compressor to blow out the line because sediment could be restricting the hot water flow. What type of air compressor fitting do I attach to blow enough air from the compressor into the hot water opening? (after you remove the shower cartridge there's 3 holes: hot, cold, and i'm assuming the other one is for the shower because that hole has a pipe inside it that goes toward the shower headl). I want to blow air from an air compressor into the hot water hole but after the opening the hot water pipe makes a bend so is there some type of special compressor fitting I need to get enough air pressure to blow out sediment that's probably causing low hot water pressure?

Thanks! would really appreciate the advice.

-Morgan

Htry using a eet dry vac may be a piece of flexibnle wire to loosen the debris up or squirt vinagar into the 3 openings and
Let it sit for a while,the try the wire andvac again.......

Hi so instead of blowing it out try sucking it out with a wet/dry vac after I try to loosen the debris with a flexible wire like a coat hanger?

Do not shove in a coat hanger into any valves, you can scratch and ruin the insides, which might require very expensive repair or replacement.

You can remove valve cartridges and stems, and sometimes there is more than one piece in there.
You want to get down to the hollow brass body, to look for chunks or crud that you can wipe out with vinegar and a soft plastic pad like a Scotchbrite pad.

You can vacuum out that hollow part, or squirt in vinegar then vacuum that out to help pull out any chunks in there.

You can also poke inside there with an old toothbrush, even the plastic handle, to bump off any chunks.

Thanks but I tried using cleaning out the brass body with no avail so I think the sediment blocking the hot water pressure is deeper inside the hot water hole because the hot opening is clear of debris. I also tried a flexible Bottle brush with nylon bristles that I bent to push into the hot opening but I still didn’t break loose any crud so that’s why I was thinking of using something stiffer like a wire. The plumber who replaced the hot water heater took a quick look and said they use like a pick similar to a dental pick and recommended I do that and try to break lose and sediment and then blow it out with air from ab air compressor. Is there a specialized tool or pick ( similar to a dental pick) I can buy to try this because the toothbrush isn’t flexible enough to get deep in the opening where it starts to curve to enter the hot water valve and pipe?

Thanks and I appreciate all the replies!

I think your plumber gave you bad advice.

You will cause damage by digging around with a metal tool inside your valve.

Time to call a better plumber.

Latest posts

Back