Better way to do this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerboy64

Reaction score
1710868976002.png

This is in the basement with the HVAC, water heat, and water softener. The trap dries out and releases nasty sewage gas smell into the house. Sometimes frequently, sometimes not. I have been adding water at the hvac drain because it has an open pipe that I can put a funnel in and pour water down the pipe shown on the left. I'm pretty sure this is my problem because the more often I do this, the less often I have this issue. I had two plumbers come out and they both said that what is pictured here was a normal/common thing. Besides that, I actually had a blockage in the pipe and this is where the backup came out from. If you look at where the smaller pipe goes into the larger pipe down into the trap, that is just an open pipe. And so if the sewage line going out of the house gets blocked, any drainage during the blockage will come out here and actually spread across half my basement with sewage water. I have since cleaned, bleached, cleaned and bleached again. I added a water sensor right under it as well. The HVAC has a water sensor as well and that is how I found out the first time but this will give me an earlier indication if I have another backup.

Basically I just need to know if there is a better way to do this so that it can help alleviate the smell we sometimes get.

Last edited:
How frequent is the worst case? If it is just in the winter and every couple of weeks, and your basement is very dry, then the water in the trap may be evaporating. But you don't show the piping downstream of the P-trap. Is it vented? If not, you may be siphoning out some of the water from the trap.

If it is just evaporation, pour some mineral oil down the trap. That will seal off the water and keep the water from evaporating.

The softener backwash is the bigger issue here. That is a direct cross contamination connection letting sewer gas and other contaminants into your softener. If connecting to your drain it needs to be an indirect air gapped connection, like what the hvac is doing but there has to be a gap with atmosphere between the softener pipe and the drain pipe so sewage cannot back up into the softener like it can now.

Back