Advice for a rusty shower stall in marble drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfbls

Reaction score
Hello, I am kind of tryng to figure out what to do here. This seem to be a very tough problem, for me anyway. This is posted elsewhere and I am hoping to increase my odds of an answer. I apologize if this is not allowed.

Here is my situation.

First Happy New Year.

The pictures kind of show the whole thing.

One is the shower stall in total view. The next is rust. The next is rust returning.

Now I have a problem which some say is intractable.

Brand new condo, Marble shower stall, rusty drain.

Here are some pictures of the drain that is causing my lack of sleep :-(

The part circled in blue is rust. The square piece is mortared and grouted into the marble tiles. The rust can be cleaned off but then it comes right back. Please see following pictures.

The rust comes back and it appears there are holes in whatever the square piece is called. I have tried three methods to prevent the rust from returning, all failed.

So, I don't know whether the rust is coming from the bottom up and this is a hole or is surface. Either way, replacing the square piece seems to be necessary since rust, once started, will just eat this away. I am under warranty now and actually have no idea what to do.

I probably left some important items out and I am happy to answer any questions.

Just asking for advice. What to do, who should inspect, and items of that nature.

Removing and replacing the square piece is apparently a HUGE job and very costly as in thousands? I don't know this... but I am a bit concerned to say the least.

shower stall pic.jpg

rust either on top or coming through bottom.jpg

rust returns.jpg

Most if not all of those drain plates have a protective coating to prevent rust. It appears that your drain plate developed a small nick in it which will allow rust onto the surface. I've heard folks using a very small amount of clear nail polish on that specific area will stop the rust from showing up for quite a long time. I'm sure you could also mask the entire drain plate and spray it with a protective shellac to give it an even looking appearance, but whatever you decide, this will have to occasionally be redone. it sure beats tearing out your entire floor and replacing it with a a nick free drain plate.

Thank you havasu.

I tried two home remedies (both failed) and am on a third which is super glue.

What I am concerned about is (having been the proud owner of a 1974 era car), the rust is actually coming from underneath the drain plate.

I would not mind at all if it's cosmetic in nature, that is, a nick, needing a touch up from time to time.

I guess I would ask if there is any way to determine if the bottom is rusting up through the top?

I suspect no, but that is why I am on this forum :)

And from your post if I did wish to replace the drain plate, the whole floor has to go? How about the walls?

I am just trying to prepare myself for the worst and most expensive fix.

Thanks again for answering me. Much appreciated.

What are you using the super glue for?

Did you ever confirm that the stuff in the drain was dried up mortar?

Does that room stay humid? The more the humidity, the more the rust coming from the nick in the plating on the floor drain.

Thank you again for your reply.

The gook in the drain is mortar. Perhaps sloppy, perhaps not. Not sure.

I am very careful to not let the room get humid by running an exhaust fan for at least an hour after a shower, and not closing the shower stall door.

This is a high rise so (again i know nothing about this) apparently the pipes will always be cast iron which will rust in all cases. The cast iron is rusting, but it is nowhere as bad as my neighbor's. My neighbor's looks like it was made when humankind found iron.

My "home" remedies for the (hopefully) surface rust were:
1. remove with Mr. Clean eraser (worked) coat with Vaseline (fail - expected)
2. remove rust with Mr. Clean eraser (worked) coat with automotive clear coat pen (fail - not expected)
3. remove rust same way, coat with super glue which (apparently) is hydrophobic (not enough time yet to see if the super glue will stop the rust from returning)

If the rust is moving upward (that would assume the bottom of the drain plate is destroyed with rust), then that is trouble. Surface rust, I can see how the super glue might work. If it does not, then perhaps there is a hydrophobic coating that might last longer... have a chemical engineer looking into this.

But, it's all for naught if that drain plate is a mess underneath.

I used to sell for a living; my statement to customers still holds "... beware of low bidders with heart surgeons, parachute makers, and apparently drain plates..." :)

Thank you so much.

Back