Adding wall mounted laundry sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneartist

Reaction score
The existing washer standpipe, picture below, is not vented. The wall sink to be added will be left of the standpipe. The standpipe P trap is to the right. I plan to use a AAV to vent the sink. After the sink P trap I think I will run the sink drain outside the wall until I get past the washer P trap, then tie into the drain with a sweeping Y. Also, should I add a AAV above the standpipe? If anyone has other suggestions, please post.

Attachments

• E816716C-4838-446D-A2ED-B3F97A736809.jpeg
    E816716C-4838-446D-A2ED-B3F97A736809.jpeg
    947.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 9B123C8F-7E44-47FE-B43C-3FCBF01C474A.jpeg
    9B123C8F-7E44-47FE-B43C-3FCBF01C474A.jpeg
    999.8 KB · Views: 12
Are you sure the standpipe isn't vented? You don't have enough exposed to show that.

I was hoping that it was vented, but when I opened up the wall the top of the standpipe is as far up as it goes. This is for my daughter and she has noticed sewer smells so I assume that is because it's not vented.

That metal receptor is attached to the abs with a clamped rubber coupling. The metal is as high as it goes. I don't see any sign of a roof vent.

That metal receptor is attached to the abs with a clamped rubber coupling. The metal is as high as it goes. I don't see any sign of a roof vent.
You don’t have enough wall opened up yet to the right where the pipe goes through the stud horizontally. The vent, if it has one will be there.

You don’t have enough wall opened up yet to the right where the pipe goes through the stud horizontally. The vent, if it has one will be there.
Thanks. I'll open it up. I thought the vent would be before the P trap.

You were all right. The next stud bay contained a vent. What is the best way to connect the wall sink drain to the washer drain line? The picture shows holes for the sink drain through the studs to connect to the standpipe. But that would let washer water into the sink. I think the sink drain should stay outside the wall until past the washer p trap. It seems that the best sink vent would be AAV. Suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• BAA9C8D4-9F2A-4FD1-BE2B-49B8E377FCFC.jpeg
    BAA9C8D4-9F2A-4FD1-BE2B-49B8E377FCFC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 2A907257-3AD2-4D75-9B69-FFF74B3AB208.jpeg
    2A907257-3AD2-4D75-9B69-FFF74B3AB208.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Why don't you just drill through the studs above the standpipe and run a regular vent? Tie it into the washer vent.

I think i would put a partition between the washer and the sink. Let the standpipe be in the partition. Then you can pipe them both pretty easily.

Or put the standpipe outside the wall. The drain for the sink should be inside the wall in my opinion.

Or you could actually run the washer drain above where it's at now, use that elevation for the sink drain. Then run the washer drain at a higher elevation with a new vent.

Or just run a horizontal arm from the standpipe and don’t trap or vent it.

Or just run a horizontal arm from the standpipe and don’t trap or vent it.
I have tried to research how to "run a horizontal arm from the standpipe and don't trap or vent it" but I don't get it. A line sketch could help me. Sorry for not understanding.

You just cut a wye or tee into the standpipe. It's actually the easiest. I thought you didn't want to to that.

Back