2 way thermostatic control for tile shower?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jusluv2ski

Reaction score
Probably not the right terminology, so let me explain. I am going to be doing a tile walk in shower with glass door. What I am looking for is a way to turn the shower on from outside the shower. (so you don't have to go in the shower and dodge the cold water for the x amount of time it takes to get warm). Wether it is a "2 way thermostatic control " or just a valve that is double ended to go through a side wall, plumbed after the thermostatic control.( so the control is always on?) Anything like this exist that anyone knows of? Or similar that would work?
Thanks.

By code the valve must be accesible when standing in front of the showerhead.

Our codes here differ on that point, Liquid. I have many times installed the valve just inside the door and the head or heads in different locations in large showers.

I understand there could be potential safety concerns but I myself have always wanted to do this as well.

Last edited:
Just inside the shower door is probably fine. It was my backup plan. But I was hoping for the dual control

With regard to the safety concerns, I was hoping to have a control that would be on the inside, accessible to the user, and another on the outside. That way I could turn the water on before I get in and shut the water off while inside.

Possible to mount control valve(s)/mixing valve outside of the shower stall and a simple shutoff valve (safety) @ and below the shower head?

Thanks for posting. Do you know if they make a shutoff valve that is double sided? Where I could mount the mixing valve inside and then my shutoff would be located in the same spot on both sides of a 2x4 wall? I'm thinking of a light switch. When one is off the other is on... So my mixing valve would always be open and just the shutoff(s) would control the on and off.

Our codes here differ on that point, Liquid. I have many times installed the valve just inside the door and the head or heads in different locations in large showers.

interesting to note, Thanks for informin me of this.

here i beleive the code stipulates that the shower user must be able to controll the temperature of the water coming out. i believe the rationalle is safety of the user.

Originally Posted by phishfood

interesting to note, Thanks for informin me of this.

here i beleive the code stipulates that the shower user must be able to controll the temperature of the water coming out. i believe the rationalle is safety of the user.

You know, this code makes perfect sense. I think (that's scary enough :( ) that maybe just having the valve(s) inside the shower door would make more sense as you could just reach inside the door to start the water and there is less possibilty of either a jilted spouse or frisky girl friend changing the water temp as you shower. Valve on one shower interior wall and the shower head on another should suffice I would think,

Latest posts

Back