What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to welcome Steve back. *waves*

Ended up having to run to the store and post office today. Mom got some neat new tools for the car. Something to remove the nuts on the tires (I've broken tire irons trying to do that manually) and a mechanical jack that lifts with the push of a button. In the past I've struggled to get the jack into a position where I could still lift it up once it was under.

Mom had me assemble some doggie stairs for our little chiweenie. She paid $10 for them and they are pretty crappy. Soft wood and thin MDF. I probably could have made something better from scrap wood. I set the steps in front of me and got the dog to run up them to get to me so I could pet him. I hope my monkey of a cat doesn't see them because he would use them as a launching pad to pounce on me. He already walks up, stands on his hind legs, and reaches up to grab my waistband on my pants. Then he tries to pull himself upward.

I've been installing a lot of bottle filler water coolers here on base lately, and I installed another two today. The first one on base was at the gym and now everyone wants them... These aren't too difficult to install, and would be easiest in new installation, but we are always just replacing old coolers with this style. So, the existing drains and water supplies tend to be a nightmare if not positioned just right. The main reason for this is there's just no room inside these things, and to add to the space issues, a huge filter attaches inside. I hate to say, but I think I've had to make and alteration here and there to every one of them to get these hooked up correctly!

LZS8WSLK.jpg

oh, them damn things. do your self a favor. use a straight stop instead of a angle.

on the doubles, i rough the water in on the 2nd unit. use a long supply tube

Haven't had to install any double units yet... I don't have many issues with the angle stops. Most of the time it's the damn drain. The trap tends to hit that enormous filter. I've installed two now where I had to mount the filter on the OUTSIDE of the unit. Just anchored it to the wall, and ran the supplies through a drilled hole on the metal cover. Not something I want to do all the time, but space is just so limited at times that there's nothing else I could do to make it work.

Haven't had to install any double units yet... I don't have many issues with the angle stops. Most of the time it's the damn drain. The trap tends to hit that enormous filter. I've installed two now where I had to mount the filter on the OUTSIDE of the unit. Just anchored it to the wall, and ran the supplies through a drilled hole on the metal cover. Not something I want to do all the time, but space is just so limited at times that there's nothing else I could do to make it work.

aint plumbing fun?

a.jpg

Reactions: SHR
Raining a little today in Sunny Southern Calif. Gonna hit harder tomorrow.
Took this on the way to my last job today. Picture doesn't do these justice.

015 (400x300).jpg

013 (400x300).jpg

Last edited:
Didn't get any pictures, too busy finding new ways to make my back hurt.

Noontime yesterday, I got a call about a leaking water main on a local Catholic Church, their main building, it was coming up out of the asphalt in the parking lot, and their regular service plumber wouldn't touch it. Shoved a tape down the valve riser, 5' deep. That valve was shut off, which had stopped the leak, so I knew it was in the line from there to the meter, which had already had 1 failure a few years ago, according to maintenance. I probably could have found an excavator to rent, but no time to get locates done. After a few phone calls, found a supply house that was open and had some 2" Sch 80 PVC, so I picked that up and rented a concrete saw. Went back and cut the apshalt around the valve and a 2' wide path to the sidewalk near the meter. Today brought some help, pickaxes, and shovels. Worked like crazy men, and had the water back on by 5 PM. Holes and ditches backfilled and compacted by 7 PM. My back does not like me, but my bank account can't wait until the check clears.

I am going back in the morning for early Mass, just to make sure that an odd chunk of crap doesn't clog up a flush valve or faucet.

I wish I could find the picture, but one day I saw a guy across the street from my elderly friend tossing out a perfectly nice wooden chair-- real wood, not that particle board crap. I mentioned it to my friend and he said he wished he could have a better look at it. He was in his late 80s and couldn't walk very well. So I went and grabbed it. The seat had split and a few things needed to be glued back together. So together we dismantled it enough to get some glue in, clamped it up, wiped it down,

I admit part of the reason I want it is because of the case.

did the same thing, saw an old antique rocker out on the street
so, i grabbed it, took the rocker's off of it, threw the rest back on the pile
went home and built a bench that rocks
085.jpg

you like tool cases/ i have 4 or 5 dewalt cases, sitting in the back yard that are going into the burn pile next time i burn. want em? you pay shipping
to what ever address your comfortable using
po box, work, grand mas, abandonded field, i dont care :D

So....you ever just go and fix a toilet? Or are you just into extreme stuff?

I'm an engineering contractor, not a plumber. We install and fix the big stuff. I'm not licensed to plung a toilet but I can build a treatment plant.

Frodo.

That is how the plumber marked out the problem eye, only problem is he is six feet off of the main according to the manholes but he believes more in his camera than the fact the I can see the mainline and manhole. We have a dollar bet on the problem. He thinks I'm just a backhoe guy, I'm gonna let him keep thinking that.

Back