What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my truck back to the shop after spending a grand yesterday in it. Trans is worse than before.

Mr_David, I bet that leak had some odor to go along with it. Looks pretty nasty, but the fix was nice.

Chris, that sucks. :-( I'm hoping you'll get some good luck soon. Sending good mojo your way.

My 30 gallon Craftsman air compressor kept blowing breakers so I had my bro in law come out today to provide me a dedicated circuit breaker. He put a load test on it and upon start up, was saw it was pulling 105 amps! Obviously a compressor problem and not a breaker problem. He believes it is a start capacitor or the motor itself. Anyone have any ideas besides tossing the $500 compressor?

My 30 gallon Craftsman air compressor kept blowing breakers so I had my bro in law come out today to provide me a dedicated circuit breaker. He put a load test on it and upon start up, was saw it was pulling 105 amps! Obviously a compressor problem and not a breaker problem. He believes it is a start capacitor or the motor itself. Anyone have any ideas besides tossing the $500 compressor?

That sucks. Maybe you can find the replacement part? http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/brands-products/Craftsman-Parts/Air-compressor-Parts

Give it to me?

My trans is costing me 4k to rebuild. But at least it will be built up this time.

Thanks Zanne! I found the compressor and quickly went to the parts I need. Unfortunately, all items have "not available anymore" posted over the item. Damn!

4 g why so damn much? i just had a van trans rebuilt for $ 1500. 00 and a s-10 for about the same.

that s-10 really is pissen me off..I have to put another trans in it...AGAIN!!!!

I had the radiator replaced. then, the trans went out. i had to limp home in 4 wheel drive

so. i had the trans rebuilt. i had a company truck, so very rarely drove my truck. . moved from texas to mississipi.
trailored the s 10

now that i am here, i am using my lil truck. the trans goes out. WTH>>>WTF>>>

so i am scratching my head, and ask my self. what did i do. I pulled the radiator

the idiots, never pulled the plugs out of the trans cooler taps. . it burnt the trans up..%^&^%%^&^%**^*&^&^(&^%R it

Last edited:
This was a first with me.
Cool story!!!!!!!!

Matt you have not lived till you lay your head on a decomposing rat under someones house. You come out from under their stinking like dead rat all day

Or, do some work under a hospital and get stalked by wild cats all day
everytime you look up, them damn yellow eyes looking at you

Havasu, take your motor to a electric motor shop.
I bet you a glazed do-nut and a bear claw they can find a after market part for you.

all you really need is the info on the nomenclature plate to id your parts. but take the motor anyway

have him order the part, and you can install it
If the motor shop doesn't work, Grainger will likely have a replacement for it. Craftsman may well have discontinued their parts, but the motor manufacturer probably sold that motor to a lot of different companies. There is likely a Dayton on their shelf right now.

If the motor shop doesn't work, Grainger will likely have a replacement for it. Craftsman may well have discontinued their parts, but the motor manufacturer probably sold that motor to a lot of different companies. There is likely a Dayton on their shelf right now.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Grainger down the street from me so I will take it off and see if they can help me.

I just can't believe that a 14 year old compressor has been discontinued. Here is a pic of the beast.

get-attachment (1).jpg

i went thru the same thing on a 1931 bench grinder. everybody wanted to sell me a new motor
so i tore it apart, and rewired the wires to the windings. works like a charm

castiron cases, heavy as hell. bomb proof!!!

here i am waiting on a brass sleeve bearing. for the shaft

[/IMG]

Last edited:
They discontinue things because we are a throw away nation now and that compressor has been replaced with a lighter weight plastic model.

Well, I fixed the compressor. I passed by my local Grainger's, so I thought I'd pick their brain. He says they have most capacitor's in stock, and will even test them. I ran home, grabbed the starter capacitor, then returned. Although it tested fine, I went ahead and replaced it. it cost me $21, but honestly, I didn't need to. My motor housing has a contact switch which activates the capacitor, but the housing was cracked, not allowing the switch to activate. I Macgyvered the housing, got it secured properly, and now everything works.

Glad you got it fixed, Havasu!

Chris, the whole "throw away" thing is one of my pet peeves. I'm just old enough to remember things being built to last. I had a Montgomery Ward convection microwave that lasted for 22 years (the only reason it died was because of the power surges when my power kept going out almost every week and sometimes multiple times per week). I wish there was a way to get it running again and boost the power output. It's ugly as hell, but is 3.0 cu ft capacity.

It really bugs me when they don't have the parts for something just 2 years after it was made, but they find there is more money to be made by people having to buy replacements. And I should not even get started on particle board furniture... LOL.

Meanwhile, today I went to vote in the runoffs.

guys, your going to think i am crazy. but here goes.

i frequent our dump often. I drag home washing machine motors, wireing harness.s, bed frames etc etc

i have 1 55 gallon drum, I fill with scrap copper from the dump. when its full i usually get $900--$1200.00 per barrel

the bed frames and other metal, I use in projects , crap i make with my welder

plastic into the burn pile, aluminum into a pile, metal into another

I picture him driving around in a mid 80's brown ford f250 with three different wheels while wearing a football helmet and gloves. Yelling stuff out the window.

Back