What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought the new house with new carpeting in it. While at Home Depot last night, the "other half" decided she didn't like the look of the carpeting, and just ordered new carpeting to replace the new carpeting, only in a lighter color. Geesh, women!

Plumbed the drainage in a new mini home today. Just one bathroom group and kitchen and laundry. Crawling around under there was a good test for the hip. Very pleased with how it felt, which is great because I'm going back to work full time tomorrow :) I will have one of the 2nd year guys with me most of the week, which will be a welcomed change. I'm usually by myself :eek:

Havasu, sheesh is right. Even when I didn't really like the color of the carpet in the house I didn't care so long as it wasn't absolutely filthy and disgusting. If it were stained and damaged I could see pulling it. I suppose if it was a really hideous color that hurt my eyes or something I might consider pulling it, but not right away. I am a procrastinator though.

I told my mother about the remote control car to stretch lines idea and later she saw a remote controlled car in a catalog and pointed it out to me.

Good job, Matt! I'm glad your hip is doing well.

Chris, that is a beautiful table.

The other day I stopped and talked to the loggers on the road. I asked them if they would be interested in oak. I told them I had a branch the size of some of the pine trees they were cutting down. They said that they only pick up pine and that it wouldn't be worth it to come get the oak, even if it was already cut and ready for them to load.

I'm hoping I can find someone who wants it, or someone who can cut it up into useful pieces.

Meanwhile, yesterday I was walking by the water heater and heard dripping underneath. Below the water heater is the compartment where the air circulates for the air conditioner. I opened the panel where the filters go and used a lantern to look inside. Floor was soaked and it smelled musty in there. My mother suggested it was the AC line dripping and that it needed bleach down the pipe. So I poured a little bit of bleach down and capped the pipe again and the dripping stopped. I just need to figure out how to dry the underside area up and what I can do to the area to keep it from getting mold/mildew. We don't need to have that crud circulating through the air ducts.

I think this house hates me. LOL.

I already poured the bleach down the line. My worry about the bleach mixture is that its the area that circulates the air for the house and I don't want that smell to circulate-- but it might be the best option. And I can get those little plastic containers that have little beads and are used to absorb moisture. I can put a bunch of them in there to try to speed up the drying. I wonder what I can put on the floor to keep it from soaking up water next time.. Flex Seal maybe?

I already poured the bleach down the line. My worry about the bleach mixture is that its the area that circulates the air for the house and I don't want that smell to circulate-- but it might be the best option. And I can get those little plastic containers that have little beads and are used to absorb moisture. I can put a bunch of them in there to try to speed up the drying. I wonder what I can put on the floor to keep it from soaking up water next time.. Flex Seal maybe?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7V6iq7qMSI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7V6iq7qMSI[/ame]

Frodo, thank you for the videos.
I think you're suggesting an overflow thing for the air conditioner? Right now there is just a PVC pipe just sticking out and going up. Originally the top had tape or something over it (done by the installers) and we were instructed to pour a little bit of bleach down from time to time. At some point the tape got ripped off by the cats and the water was flowing up and overflowing from the pipe and making awful noises. I found a plastic bottle cap that fit and I put that over.

I don't have any electrical outlets in the hallway and I don't know if there is a wall outlet in the area with the water heater and AC-- if there is, I don't know where it is. I'll have to look.

I'm really hoping that pouring the bleach in fixed the problem, because I really don't want there to be a leak from the water heater. Although I still can't figure out what is causing the air in the line that makes the water sputter. I'm assuming its water-- or maybe its inconsistent pressure. It happens with both hot and cold, but is worse with the hot water.

I wish I had the patience to cut up that branch two inches at a time. My friend who is recovering from the truck wreck said that he would cut it up for us when he regains use of his left arm/hand again.

It makes me sad that people around here treat oak like garbage.

Last edited:
you do not need power for an over flow switch.

it is a switch, when your mold plugs your drain, and the water wants to over flow onto the floor

as the water rises..this switch. turns off your AC unit. so it will not over flow.

when the water goes down, the unit comes back on

it hooks up to your unit, no external power needed

oak is the best wood for a fireplace, burns clean, good for a smoker also

Last edited:
I'll at least tell us in his shower head he had 4 galvi coupling three arms to create a tall shower

you do not need power for an over flow switch.

it is a switch, when your mold plugs your drain, and the water wants to over flow onto the floor

as the water rises..this switch. turns off your AC unit. so it will not over flow.

when the water goes down, the unit comes back on

it hooks up to your unit, no external power needed

oak is the best wood for a fireplace, burns clean, good for a smoker also

Ok. I will have to figure out how to hook it up to my current setup. I'll have to post a picture. The water is not overflowing into the pipe that I poured bleach down. Maybe there was some condensation that is dripping out underneath? The pipe that has the cap is up near the AC unit above the air ciculation area. I'll have to get a picture to upload later.

I heard dripping again when I walked by. I purchased a spray bottle and need to make up the mix with the bleach to spray in there. I also got the dehumidifying bead thingies. I'm hoping that I'll be able to squeeze enough of my fat gut into the air conditioning filter spot to look around and spray in there. I'm pondering putting some scrap vinyl sheet in there to catch water if it drips, but I don't know if that is a good idea.

Anyhoo, I had a busy few days running people to doctor's appointments. Internet has been crapping out and so has the TV. The crape mertle trees are blocking the tv satellite and I can't trim them because they are touching the power lines. Called the power company and some people came out to look today. They said they will have to come back when it hasn't been raining and the ground isn't so mushy. They also said that they will only cut the branches and will not pick them up afterward. I'm ok with that so long as the branches aren't blocking my satellites anymore.

I did some more picking up around the house before my back protested too much, but I still have more to do.

Last edited:
98% of water drain problems in a HVAC uni is the unit itself is not pitched.
the unit,needs to be slightly unlevel with the down side towards the drain.
if the drain, does not have enough fall/pitch it will also stop up

using clorox is temp fix. it works, till it stops up again

Yeah, I doubt they pitched the unit properly or had proper slope. They rigged it so there is a pvc pipe that exits my house and drips into a pit next to the outside unit. The pit has grown larger and the ground under the edge of the external AC is starting to crumble away. I'm going to have to find a way to build up something to keep more of the dirt from eroding. The pit was initially dug before the AC install back when we had a sewage leak and we needed better access to the underside of the house to clear out the sewage and fix the pipes.

What about a syphon on the 6" AC line? Those are easy. I'll come down tomorrow and do it for you.

Your backhoe guy needs some training.

What do you mean syphon on 6" AC.
when we laid the new line we pretty much laid it flat with just a hair of fall
The old line had really good fall to the gas line repair in 2nd photo.
You can see where it goes under a conduit and over the next . we ran it over the 1st one.
Buy the time we got to the other end about 130 ft away we where okay. Kind of flat but not backgraded.

We used him before. Old guy like myself with a lot of yrs experience. Must be loosing his touch

Did the backhoe guy have to have any consequences to breaking all those lines?

Not sure who ate the bullet on that. Boss doesn't talk about it. :cool:

ya'll ever hear of "call before you dig"
its pretty cool,,you call, some guy comes out and spray paints the ground.

811 is the # all over the usa

It was all marked out by "Dig Alert" we had just said we need to stop and dig this out by hand when he found it.

Last edited:
It was all marked out by "Dig Alert" we had just said we need to stop and dig this out by hand when he found it.[/QUOTE]

I just found out that I missed out on a doozie last week while on vacation. The contractor on campus is digging a trench about 30' deep and 18' wide to run a mechanical tunnel across the street. They were driving 1" allthread into the wall of the trench to secure shoring and found the 20" water main. From what I'm told, the flooding caused storm drains and manholes to overflow throughout most areas downhill of the campus. One of the guys has video. I'll see if he can send it to me.(...if I can upload anything.)

Well I just caused my first geyser of high pressure water.i thought the mAin valve was turned off , pulled a gate valve and then you can figure what happened next , to make it worst the water was on for 20 min .this was in a multi unit complex first floor.

Latest posts

Back