Water pressure cutting out

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A month ago we replaced the pressure tank & pressure switch as the bladder was busted. see previous post below to get info on the pump if needed.

https://www.plumbingforums.com/threads/questions-about-my-well-pump.20049/#post-155643
After changing the pressure tank for the most part things have improved.

However we noticed that if we are running the washer and taking a shower at the same time, the Pressure will cut out and then come back on a few seconds later. i would say any where between 10-15 seconds at times. We also noticed this morning if someone is taking a shower and flushes the toilet the same thing can happen. Once the water pressure returns, it does not do it again, for the duration of the shower.
I suspect the bladder tank is being drained and its taken a few seconds for the pressure switch to realize the pressure is dropped and then cuts on.

It does not happen if you cut on a sink while someone is showering. Also if one is just taking a shower with no other water running it does not cut out. seems to only happen when the Shower is going and the washer is on.

Current setup:
If you need more info let me know.

Thoughts as to what could be causing this?

Thanks,
HH

Make sure your main water valve is fully open. If it’s a gate valve it could be stuck half way open, I don’t use gate valves.

Did you set your tank pressure correctly ? It must be set with the water off and pressure relieved.

Make sure your main water valve is fully open. If it’s a gate valve it could be stuck half way open, I don’t use gate valves.

Did you set your tank pressure correctly ? It must be set with the water off and pressure relieved.

I will check to make sure all valves are fully open, i know the water IN to the house may be a gate valve from the pics i just looked up, will double check to make sure its fully open.

I set the Pressure tank charge to 28, and the cut on is about 30-35. closer to 30, its an analog pressure gauge.

I Read that the pressure tank charge has to be two below the cut in pressure..

If the above is correct what are your thoughts, should i add or remove more air to the tank? and i f i do add more air just a few pounds at a time...

Thanks

It sounds to me you have a restriction in the piping or your pump is lagging.

I replace gate valves.....

@Valveman is the pump expert here

Is it a gate valve ? You can’t check it without taking it apart really.

The stem can rise but the gate stays half open inside the valve. I replace them.

But yeah, wait on valveman to give you advice on your pump.

Did you check the tank air charge when there was no water in the tank?

Are you saying the pressure never gets to 50 and shuts off the pump when a single shower is running?

Did you check the tank air charge when there was no water in the tank?

Are you saying the pressure never gets to 50 and shuts off the pump when a single shower is running?

Hi @Valveman Thanks for getting with me!

I installed the tank last month, i let air out of the tank to 28 as it has to be two PSI below the cut in pressure of 30. So that is how i know what the air pressure is inside the tank. Should i kill power to the pump, drain water, and recheck the pressure?

I would assume the pump gets to 50 however i have never watched it while some one was showering..

If the pump is not getting to 50 while someone is taking a shower, what could be the cause? and how could that relate to the cut in, while the shower and washer is running?

Thanks,
HH

I would lower the pre-charge in the tank, it's very hard to find gauges that agree that close.

The way I check pre-load is, I turn off the power to the pump, and then slowly bleed off the pressure, while listening to the pressure switch, and watching the gauge. When the switch clicks, the gauge should lower another 2 psi, and then drop quickly to zero. that assures me that it is set up correctly.

Sorry for delay. If your getting air from the faucets you have a hole in the drop pipe. If no air the check valve on pump has failed. Remove upper check at tank to verify.

@Valveman
@RS
@Twowaxhack

I think i have it Solved.

While Switching back to the old pressure switch, when i removed the brass fitting from the switch, i noticed their was no water coming out. I removed the pressure switch tubing, and cleaned out the nozzle that is on the pump and water started shooting out. Sediment was clogged the nozzle. I replaced the tubing and brass nozzle on the pressure switch.

All appears working now, if i get the issue again, ill update this thread.

thanks again all.

Good going! I thought about that being a possibility, it happens fairly often!

I am glad you figured it out. But the symptom didn't sound like a clogged pressure switch nipple. Normally a clogged pressure switch nipple will cause the pressure relief valve to pop off and people notice water spraying when it should not. If you do not have pressure relief valve you should add one, because this can easily destroy the pump.

Latest posts

Back