Water Pipe Insulation in Detached Garage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blbowers

Reaction score
Greetings.

I have a detached garage that is paved with concrete, has a large concrete apron and driveway, is NOT heated but IS insulated, and has a cold water line ran from the house, below the concrete apron/driveway, and up into the corner of the detached garage (see picture). The line feeds the exterior water spigot and, as of last month, a wash basin.

y3mNk_Q1e_ly3Cr7-rwozlPfjuY2W07uTYTFcrm0Wpq0wHSHc8DuyPjbOD6BEPqzZXK5TgmAyLOTjlVpGNBqCT_komS-IdFlpqUymsYjSFKGEHnTH1y0cnp43lDk6jj4GwfJCLBHyi9N3IfOgKg10cSeZdi3uo8higIPwhFSLNL3Zk

y3mYH0EVmKv-YdEMGkNath22Tuv49vhviguzwtQl72aqaVeAZ4XHy1Xco0mgC-htLQrNj4URgRrjC9vx6TVOlWIiQFDzNxxBbRSA928ag6O7uK4XqI7qwdyWhJJtxpxbX8qB_NXgH2HLodNkiGEuk38GWZRx2uJBsSNcMD5RuvHd00

This pipe is NOT insulted and HAS frozen/busted in previous years approximately 4" above the concrete floor. I have prevented this in recent years by turning the water off at the source beneath the house; however, I installed a wash basin so I'd like to keep water ran all winter long.

What are my best options? I understand there is pipe insulation and electrical pipe heaters. Is one recommended over the other? Are there better options?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Brian

Back