Toilet Plaque

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrecisionPlum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BACK GROUND:
I posted in January about a 1.6 gl. toilet that was around 7 years old.
Yet, despite a full tank and properly operating flush valve, it was not
evacuating the bowl effectively.

Water Quality - Not hard water.

ACTION TAKEN:
The toilet was replaced.
(I have a happy customer)

I also ran a snake while the toilet was removed to make sure there
were no partial obstructions. None were found.

OBSERVATION:
When changing out the toilet I noticed scaling (not slime) on one
side of the 3" PVC drain line. Not a lot, but still something that
stood out.

Toilet disposal - When I disposed of the toilet it broke as I dumped it
out of the back of the truck. In turn part of the trap way was broken
open and exposed a build up of hard scale in the toilet drain.
Note that the porcelain around the scale broke, but that part of the
scale remained intact indicating how hard it is. Giving me a visual
answer as to why the toilet had a poor flush.

QUESTIONS:
1) Anyone else observe this?

2) Has anyone treated a poor flush toilet chemicals?

Preventative treatments? (Not Drano)
1) Lime-A-Way

2) Vinegar

3) Vinegar and baking soda

4) Other

Attachments

• Old Toilet Trapway  1 of 2.jpg
    Old Toilet Trapway 1 of 2.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Old Toilet Trapway  2 of 2.jpg
    Old Toilet Trapway 2 of 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
that is some serious build up and though I've not seen that much, it is, I think, urine residue or just minerals.
Terminal condition and normal for toilets to accumulate as they age.
With age, most WCs performance diminishes and replacing is the way to go.

Yep, that's what happens when you let the yellow mellow. Those are pee pee crystals.

Back in the days of the “water crisis” in NYC in the mid 1960s millions there learned to NOT flush toilets after every use. That combined with a depression era mentality of saving everything…

Then there is the “thrifty New Englander” side of the family. It was never about saving water just saving money.

Then another part of the family lived in homes with delicate cesspools. Again, save the cesspool by saving flushes..

I found it always disgusting. Flush after every use. PERIOD.

For what is is worth...Whenever I get a slow flushing toilet and at least once a year anyway, I clean out the rim jets of the toilet. They become clogged and need to be cleaned of the calcium/mineral deposits that accumulate over time. You Tube has several videos that show the process. This helps to resolve the restriction of the water when flushing occurs I also have an accmulation of deposits at the bottom of the tank, where the hole is, that needs to be scrappd away as these deposits restrict the flow force of the water when flushed. The best way to do this is to find little tools that will scrape away the hard deposits until gone and this must be done by hand. Chemicals are very harsh.

that is some serious build up and though I've not seen that much, it is, I think, urine residue or just minerals.
Terminal condition and normal for toilets to accumulate as they age.
With age, most WCs performance diminishes and replacing is the way to go.
Again, the municipal water is not "hard water", and the WC was install in 2017.
Regarding age, I have the same supplier of water as the customer and my 68
year old Standard WC still functions. Of course is has a larger tank than the
1.6 gl.

As for 1.6 gl. and less toilets, does this build up suggest that low flush toilets
are likely to fail to prematurely?

For what is is worth...Whenever I get a slow flushing toilet and at least once a year anyway, I clean out the rim jets of the toilet. They become clogged and need to be cleaned of the calcium/mineral deposits that accumulate over time. You Tube has several videos that show the process. This helps to resolve the restriction of the water when flushing occurs I also have an accmulation of deposits at the bottom of the tank, where the hole is, that needs to be scrappd away as these deposits restrict the flow force of the water when flushed. The best way to do this is to find little tools that will scrape away the hard deposits until gone and this must be done by hand. Chemicals are very harsh.
No mineral build up issues like that in our area.

How about toilet maintence ?
I buy Genuine Joe toilet acid by the case.
About every six months ..... I remove all the water from the tank & bowl.
Pour a quart of the acid cleaner through the overflow tube and let it set for at least an hour.
Cleans out the rim jets and toilet trap.
Then I remove the acid from the bowl & trap using a baster to avoid putting it in the septic system.

How about toilet maintence ?
I buy Genuine Joe toilet acid by the case.
About every six months ..... I remove all the water from the tank & bowl.
Pour a quart of the acid cleaner through the overflow tube and let it set for at least an hour.
Cleans out the rim jets and toilet trap.
Then I remove the acid from the bowl & trap using a baster to avoid putting it in the septic system.
I think it’s just from people peeing in the toilet and not flushing. It’s a disgusting habit some people employ to save water.

Just like a urinal. People pee in it and never flush. That's why a lot of companies are using automatic flush valves as they are
tired of having to get the drain cleaned out all the time.

I piss outside to also to make it smell like New Orleans.🤡

I pour a little beer out there with it for the full crescent city experience 🤣✌️

There’s nothing like the smells of bourbon St in the morning after a night of drinking in July with 90 degree heat and 70% humidity.

Seeing a guy drink left over drinks and lighting up cigarette butts that they find on the ground. Yes, that’s New Orleans !! The aroma of piss and old beer filling the air as a jazz band plays………

Latest posts

Back