Sump Pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2394V

Reaction score
Good morning all,
New member hear and just joined, so please pardon me if this is in the wrong section.

My issue is this (excuse the long story, but I feel that some background info may be . I have a home with a finished basement that was built in 2020. Last September (2021) we had approximately 1 foot of water flood in our basement during hurricane Ida. The builder, when constructing the home, allegedly put in a french drain around the perimeter of the home that discharges into a pit in the corner of our basement. The pit has an Everbilt HDS75 (HD brand) 3/4HP sump pump.
After the water was pumped out, I took out the pump to inspect it, and it looks like the plumbing contractor didn't drill the 3/16" weep hole that was noted several times in the instruction manual for the pump. Further more, per the township, rainwater CANNOT discharge into the street, and must be kept on the property. So, all the rain leaders go below grade and discharge into (2) 1000 gallon seepage pits buried in my backyard. The plumbing who installed the sump pump connected the discharge of the pump to a rain leader and so the sump pump discharge is also going into the seepage pit.
When I looked at the construction documents from the city, it was clearly stated that the seepage pits were sized just for hard surface/roof run-off.
Anyway, fast forward to now, and with the spring rains coming, I don't want to be in a similar situation with water rising in my basement.
First and foremost, I took the pump out, and drilled the weep hole that the instructions described. Next, I decided to go and pick up a second sump pump. The second pump I picked up was the same as the first: The Everbilt HDS75. What I would like to do is place the second pump into the same pit, but elevate it on some bricks. This way the float will be a little higher than the original, and should only come on if the primary pump has an issue keeping up with the inflow of water during heave rains.
My question is this: What would be the best way to plumb this together. I currently have a 1.5"PVC discharge pipe going from the existing pump. Before it exits the house, I have increased it to a 2" pipe, and that's what discharges out of the house. I have also disconnected the discharge pipe from my seepage pit, and now have it drain via gravity to the grass, away from my foundation. I have attached a few pictures showing existing conditions, as well as a crude sketch of what I'd like to do. My concern is with the second pipe coming up and over, I don't want to create an air-lock and cause more headaches that I currently have. Plus, I'm sure there are other aspects of this that I haven't even thought of yet, and thus am asking you all for any advice you might have. The other thing is, is that I've only looked/picked up PVC fittings that were available at my local HD. I'm sure that a plumbing specialty store might have fittings that would provide a more elegant/better-working solution/system.

Thank you all in advance for your help/suggestions.

Attachments

• Sump Pump1.jpg
    Sump Pump1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Sump Pump2.jpg
    Sump Pump2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
I should just add that I certainly don't mind re-piping the existing pump, too....So, if a solution would involve changing the layout for the existing pump, I'm open to hearing that as well.
I say that because I was thinking that having those (2) 90s would add more static pressure than say, (2) 45s would.
Also, I've been searching online (granted, not very diligently), but I was hoping to find some sort of gauge that would display the flow rate through the pipe when the pump was running. The only thing I was able to find so far was a Blue-White F-300 gauge that uses a pitot tube in the water stream to show the flow. My concern with adding that is the added static pressure and doing more harm that good. The reason I wanted to flow gauge(s), would be to see how much water the pump is actually moving, and compare it to what the spec sheet says it would pump at this condition.

Thanks again!!!

I’d pipe the water to run into the yard away from the house. End of story on that for me.

If I added a second pump I would make the pumps alternate so each pump got exercised rather than just one pump doing most of the work and the other one just sitting there.

You would probably need a bigger pump basin and a pump controller.

I’d pipe the water to run into the yard away from the house. End of story on that for me.

If I added a second pump I would make the pumps alternate so each pump got exercised rather than just one pump doing most of the work and the other one just sitting there.

You would probably need a bigger pump basin and a pump controller.
I've routed the discharge into the yard and away from the house. I'm also installing the pvc piping so that I can periodically change the position of the pumps to rotate them, so that one isn't constantly being used, while the other sits idle.

I've routed the discharge into the yard and away from the house. I'm also installing the pvc piping so that I can periodically change the position of the pumps to rotate them, so that one isn't constantly being used, while the other sits idle.
Sounds like you have it figured out the way you want to do it.

Good luck 👍

We did essentially the same thing, with two sump pits and two pumps, a check valve from each pump to the discharge line, and extra PVC pipe and fittings so I could route the discharge further from the house when Big Storms were pending.

I think trying to measure the flow is a rathole, you can look at the end of the discharge pipe and distinguish between "a lot" and "a little".

I highly recommend alternating the pumps. Or do as WPNS did and have two basins. I would suggest if you used two pumps to have two discharge lines if possible and not too much trouble.

Slapping a band aid on the problem by using pumps is ok for a little while
If you want to stop the problem look at digging up the foundation walls and sealing them on the outside
If water can not get in then the pump will not run

pumping water out of a hole into the area around the the hole is only going to have you pumping the same water over and over
You have to get rid of the water

Illegal as hell, but pipe the sump pump into the sewer. OHHH WATCH the hate mail come and get me on that answer

Plus there's a whole rathole around power supply reliability, and separate/dedicated circuits (you don't want them on the same circuit or any kind of ground fault or arc-fault breaker), and backup power in case of power outages during the next hurricane, etc.

Slapping a band aid on the problem by using pumps is ok for a little while
If you want to stop the problem look at digging up the foundation walls and sealing them on the outside
If water can not get in then the pump will not run

pumping water out of a hole into the area around the the hole is only going to have you pumping the same water over and over
You have to get rid of the water

Illegal as hell, but pipe the sump pump into the sewer. OHHH WATCH the hate mail come and get me on that answer
It is pretty stupid to pump ground water back into the ground, but that's what the AHJ has apparently required in New Jersey. The water he is pumping out is from under the basement slab, not from cracks in his basement walls or foundation. And even more stupid, if this sump wasn't installed, the water would ultimately flow into his basement to the floor drain which is connected to his main sewer. So, there will be no hate mail from me!

2394V, your piping can be simplified by paralleling the discharge pipes up to a 2" wye. See my rough photoshop of you photo below.

And as others have noted, you do need these on separate circuits in case of a GFIC trip. And should you lose power, neither of these pumps will obviously work. There are battery backup sump pumps, but as you have already purchased a second pump, you appear to be more concerned about an influx of water than losing power. As I'm guessing you are not in an area that gets evacuated often like Florida, I'm assuming you will be at home during an event of concern. If so, you may want to consider a separate gas generator that can power these pumps should you lose power. It too should be started routinely to assure proper operation and use Sta-Bil in the gasoline. The Cadillac would be a natural gas powered auto-start generator system, but I digress.

And these two pumps should be cycled to exercise them as others have said. Does your existing sump pump operate much during normal rains? An easy solution would be to use the GFIC outlet of each pump as a switch. Keep one pump's GFIC on and the other one off, then switch them every month or so. Then when an event is possible, reset both GFICs so both pumps will operate. Depending on the influx of water, leaving both pumps on all the time could cause short cycling of one or both of the pumps and cause pump problems and shortened pump life.

Good luck.

Dual Sump Pumps.jpg

Check with your local electrician, if it's for a dedicated use like a sump pump, you may not have to use a GFCI (or AFCI) breaker, which is less likely to experience nuisance trips in wet conditions. [And yeah, extra monitoring and NG-fired autostart generator, been there, done that, sold the house. 8*]

#There'sNoKillLikeOverkill

Back