Replace Corroded chrome Trap arm for sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, you have a mess. The original setup was an S-Trap now, and possibly then, illegal.

As this was a mess to begin with, and you are a DIY without being inspected, I'll give you some advice that will work, but maybe not be per code.

You need to add a vent to this drain, which means you will likely need to use an Air Admittance Valve, or AAV. If you are not comfortable with soldering, you will need to use a rubber coupling (Fernco) to connect the new drain piping to the drain line in the wall. Hopefully you have enough space to do this in the wall and in front of the wall..
Cut out the wall down close to the floor. Cut the copper line inside the wall leaving around 4" sticking up so that you have enough space to clamp on the Fernco. Then make up an assembly like below so that you can install a P-trap to the sink drain. There are various ways to do this, but this is what I would do.
1713202784715.png

OK, you have a mess. The original setup was an S-Trap now, and possibly then, illegal.

As this was a mess to begin with, and you are a DIY without being inspected, I'll give you some advice that will work, but maybe not be per code.

You need to add a vent to this drain, which means you will likely need to use an Air Admittance Valve, or AAV. If you are not comfortable with soldering, you will need to use a rubber coupling (Fernco) to connect the new drain piping to the drain line in the wall. Hopefully you have enough space to do this in the wall and in front of the wall..
Cut out the wall down close to the floor. Cut the copper line inside the wall leaving around 4" sticking up so that you have enough space to clamp on the Fernco. Then make up an assembly like below so that you can install a P-trap to the sink drain. There are various ways to do this, but this is what I would do.
View attachment 45019
UGH! Maybe Mom.. doesn't need a sink.. Just the toilet ... LOL!
I have done soldering before, for some outside garden hose copper waterline and it is fine, just never inside a wall. and would be afraid since it has insulation and the drain is next to a stud,, I'm afraid of a fire.

I can totally do this :)

Make sure on your no hub band you get one that is 11/2" coppoer x 11/2" plastic.
Absolutely and great point! There are many different kinds of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" rubber couplings. Some are for Cast Iron to PVC or PVC to PVC which won't work here. Copper OD is much smaller than PVC or Cast Iron.

There are a couple of things you can try
That looks like a galvanized pipe I think
You could try a hammer and chisel tapping inward to see if the pipe will cave in or is a sawzall and cut the galvi in a few spots then tap away from the threads and cave tje pipe in that way

Latest posts

Back