Replace Corroded chrome Trap arm for sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHOLZEMER

Reaction score
Hey Ya,
I'm replacing a very old sink in my mom's bathroom and I'm at an impasse.
The house was built in the 60's and there was a chrome P trap. I was hoping for some advice on how I can get this trap arm out and what I could use to make it functional.. I already talked to a couple plumbers and this job is too small for them. So I'm on my own.

It doesn't have to be pretty, just work so I can put a new sink in for her.

Here are some pics:

THANKS!!

Attachments

• IMG_8050.jpg
    IMG_8050.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8051.jpg
    IMG_8051.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8056.jpg
    IMG_8056.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
That trap arm appears to be an old oakum lead joint, but I can't really tell from the pictures. I didn't think they used those for those joints and especially as late as the 60s. If it is, you can drill several holes in the lead only, and then you should be able to twist the trap arm out of that brass fitting. Once that is removed, you'll need to see what you have to deal with to figure out what you need to do to get a new trap connected to your drain.

Use a file and file a gouge into the larger pipe and take another pic so I can see what kind of pipe it is. Right now I’m not sure.

Thank you! and I will! I'm only over there working on the weekends. So I'll get some more photos to try to answer your question.

I so appreciate this!
David

Likely, you would need a plumber if there is not a nut to twist off.
Wall opened, actual new tee installed.

and THAT should be a "big enough" job, for any plumber.... btw, if any plumber ever told me that, I would mark them off my list of "will ever be hired by me" professionals.....

That trap arm appears to be an old oakum lead joint, but I can't really tell from the pictures. I didn't think they used those for those joints and especially as late as the 60s. If it is, you can drill several holes in the lead only, and then you should be able to twist the trap arm out of that brass fitting. Once that is removed, you'll need to see what you have to deal with to figure out what you need to do to get a new trap connected to your drain.
Based upon a close up look at the first photo, I'm confident that @MicEd69 has it right. It's a lead-oakum joint.
And then again comes @Twowaxhack with the next question--what's that pipe? Probably cast iron, but not certain.
It shouldn't be that bad with the advice here, to removed what's left of your corroded stub out, and as suggested, drill out the lead and maybe use a rotary tool to clean up the joint...

...and here's where the experienced pros need to come in: what to use and how to connect a modern PVC drain assembly to the pipe that remains? I don't know the answer but I'm sure there is something other than another lead-oakum joint.

The whiskey wore off and now I believe the chrome trap weir is soldered into a brass or bronze sweat adapter.

Probably cast iron, but not certain.
Yep, I didn't think lead-oakum joint were used on anything but cast iron, but that sure looks like a brass fitting. The color seems to support brass, it seems too smooth for cast iron to me, and sure seems to have a machined face. Really weird. I wonder if it is a screwed fitting, and the plumber used a lead-oakum joint instead of using the correct screwed fitting to install the P-trap.

1712847380969.png

and THAT should be a "big enough" job, for any plumber.... btw, if any plumber ever told me that, I would mark them off my list of "will ever be hired by me" professionals.....
I thought that too.. but I called 3 plumbers and was immediately turned down.. and will never call them again :)

Since I'm doing a bunch of drywall work in there anyway.. I can cut a chunk out around that pipe and see if I can get some more pictures to share.
I'll also try drilling out some of the lead to get the tail arm out and see what happens. I was also told if it is lead and oakum don't use a propane torch to try to melt the lead as the Oakum could catch fire (is that true?). If so, I got enough problems without a fire..lol!

Finally, researching my moms house it was built in 1963.. and my lazy arse step dad has done nothing to keep it up for the past 20 years, the place as a whole is a mess now that they are in their 80's.. sorry, just need to vent.

Thanks again so much for trying to help me though this! I really am grateful to you guys!

I don’t think it’s lead and oakum. I believe it’s soldered together.

I wouldn’t suggest you using a torch there unless you have the right equipment and experience.

Last edited:
Hey Ya,
I'm replacing a very old sink in my mom's bathroom and I'm at an impasse.
The house was built in the 60's and there was a chrome P trap. I was hoping for some advice on how I can get this trap arm out and what I could use to make it functional.. I already talked to a couple plumbers and this job is too small for them. So I'm on my own.

It doesn't have to be pretty, just work so I can put a new sink in for her.

Here are some pics:

THANKS!!
To me, that looks like the flats on a nut. Put a wrench on it and try to turn it counterclockwise.

Nut probably leaked and thats why they soldered it shut. Before its all over your gonna have to replace that 90 or tee in the wall

Have you put a wrench on it to see if it spins
Either way you gotta get out,,if you can cut it almost flush you could get a sawzall in there and carefully cut thru the pipe going I to the tee in a few spots the using a small chisel tap under the cuts it should cave in be care ful not to cut into the threads of that's the case, if it's cast iron you could use a rubber push gasket or oakum and lead wool. To repipe

Hey all.... I'm back ... lol!

So I opened up part of the wall.. The drain line looks copper, and the 45 is brass. The 45 is stamped Nibco
Is there a safe way to remove the solder holding the 2 together.. I thought torch.. but then I though that's a good way to start a fire in the wall.. so I'd rather not do that.

The if I can get it off, is there some way I can adapt that copper drain line to PVC? Or should I use another type of material to get it done?

Thanks as usual!!!
David

Attachments

• IMG_8078.jpg
    IMG_8078.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8083.jpg
    IMG_8083.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8084.jpg
    IMG_8084.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0