Question about shower drain causing leak?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lhoang1002

Reaction score
So, I have a shower that was done by the old homeowner and the drain doesn’t look like it’s done correctly. We notice water damage occurring on our laminate floor in our dining room which is located on the other side of the wall of the shower/bathroom. We also noticed a bit of moisture when we torn out our carpets to laminate our floors in one of our bedrooms located on the other side of the bathroom (the bathroom is between the dining room and bedroom). I am suspecting it’s somehow from the drain? New homeowner please help, any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• A89B8730-7E8C-40D9-948B-10BD6BC9429B.jpeg
    A89B8730-7E8C-40D9-948B-10BD6BC9429B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1565.MOV
    17.9 MB
  • 46307FFB-379E-4FC1-933B-0429E1CE7653.jpeg
    46307FFB-379E-4FC1-933B-0429E1CE7653.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    10.6 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    10.6 MB
It could be the drain or it could be the shower flooring itself leaking. Do you know what's under the tile in the shower? I am assuming it's some kind of a pan, metal or plastic, that is connected to the drain pipe itself but who knows? Have you taken the drain screen off to determine if it's something obvious?

It could be the drain or it could be the shower flooring itself leaking. Do you know what's under the tile in the shower? I am assuming it's some kind of a pan, metal or plastic, that is connected to the drain pipe itself but who knows? Have you taken the drain screen off to determine if it's something obvious?

I don’t know what’s under the shower. I’m going to try and take the drain cover off once I get off of work. It seems that grout is covering parts of it so should I chisel away the excess grout on the cover in order to remove it?

I think what I would do I 1st check all of your
Grout/caulking, then I would plug off the drain and fill the shower and leave it overnite, see what happens

Are there things to look out for besides obvious things like gaps in the grout or caulking. And also how would you plug off the drain in this type of drain cover? Is there a Home Depot link that would help a lot

In a tile shower the tile does not seal the water. there should be a liner under the sand coat. that is what seal the water not the tile .

In a tile shower the tile does not seal the water. there should be a liner under the sand coat. that is what seal the water not the tile .

do you know how I would check for that? Will I be able to see it once the drain cover is lifted?

I hesitate to make recommendation for others because it may lead to even more issues, but as a person who's been told he goes where even angels fear to tread and it was my place, I'd get that cover off and inspect it for yourself and at least get some additional pictures for the experts here to help with your assessment. Additionally, I would proceed only if there are other showers/bathtubs available and you can do without this one for a while as you assess what is going on.

The grout on top of the strainer is indicative of someone trying to resolve a problem with the installation itself or something that cropped up later on. In any event, it's a kluge and, again, if it were mine, I'd want to resolve it.

Keep us posted and good luck!

I hesitate to make recommendation for others because it may lead to even more issues, but as a person who's been told he goes where even angels fear to tread and it was my place, I'd get that cover off and inspect it for yourself and at least get some additional pictures for the experts here to help with your assessment. Additionally, I would proceed only if there are other showers/bathtubs available and you can do without this one for a while as you assess what is going on.

The grout on top of the strainer is indicative of someone trying to resolve a problem with the installation itself or something that cropped up later on. In any event, it's a kluge and, again, if it were mine, I'd want to resolve it.

Keep us posted and good luck!

thanks will do! Going to find a stopper fill up the tub and see what happens and then next I’ll remove the cover and send pics of what’s underneath. I appreciate everyone’s feedback

do you know how I would check for that? Will I be able to see it once the drain cover is lifted?
if the shower has a liner the shower drain should look like this , you can see where the liner clamps on to the shower drain. I think that you have just a straight shower drain , not clamp. om 1643039804768.png

Back