Pressure Testing Vanity Vent...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinegrovedave

Reaction score
So, the inspector came out last week, took a look at the rough out and said mechanically everything looks fine. However, he didn't pass us because I have to pressure test the vent. He explained that I need to fill the drain vent with water and he can see next time he comes out. I have an idea that I'd like to run by everyone if y'all don't mind. If I were to install 2 cleanouts in the locations identified in the pic w/ yellow ovals, then a couple Cherne Clean-Seals, fill that section w/ water and then call for an inspection, would that suffice? He said 10' feet and the main vent pipe is definitely at least 10 feet to the roof. Thoughts?5.jpg

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
So, the inspector came out last week, took a look at the rough out and said mechanically everything looks fine. However, he didn't pass us because I have to pressure test the vent. He explained that I need to fill the drain vent with water and he can see next time he comes out. I have an idea that I'd like to run by everyone if y'all don't mind. If I were to install 2 cleanouts in the locations identified in the pic w/ yellow ovals, then a couple Cherne Clean-Seals, fill that section w/ water and then call for an inspection, would that suffice? He said 10' feet and the main vent pipe is definitely at least 10 feet to the roof. Thoughts?View attachment 44906
10 feet or 5 psi, 10 feet of water pressure is 5 psi,
In order for you to use the plug, you would have to isolate and put a cap on the roof vent, wouldn't it be easier to just fill with water?
To the vent stack?

So, the inspector came out last week, took a look at the rough out and said mechanically everything looks fine. However, he didn't pass us because I have to pressure test the vent. He explained that I need to fill the drain vent with water and he can see next time he comes out. I have an idea that I'd like to run by everyone if y'all don't mind. If I were to install 2 cleanouts in the locations identified in the pic w/ yellow ovals, then a couple Cherne Clean-Seals, fill that section w/ water and then call for an inspection, would that suffice? He said 10' feet and the main vent pipe is definitely at least 10 feet to the roof. Thoughts?View attachment 44906
But if you want to use the cap, You will have to pump the system up to 5 psi and make sure it don't drop in pressure.
I'd advise to contact your inspector first and talk with him first to make sure he is aware and okay with that method, and exactly what he will be looking for. Such as where to put the cleanout and of course a gauge for the 5psi.

Well, the inspector last week simply told me to "fill the vent with water" and they'll simply tap the pipe to ensure that there is water in it and no leakage, and call it a day. He even said "we're not going up to the roof to ensure you've filled it up."

Sounds like another idiot plumbing inspector, some/most of them are educated idiots

Yes we had an inspector that actually worked in the field and new what could be done and not. The only problem I see with this
installation is that no hub bands should have been used instead of rubber ferncos and were not aloud to glue pvc to abs. A mechanical
fitting should have been used. Sounds like he has a lousy inspector thats never cemented a fitting together.

Yes we had an inspector that actually worked in the field and new what could be done and not. The only problem I see with this
installation is that no hub bands should have been used instead of rubber ferncos and were not aloud to glue pvc to abs. A mechanical
fitting should have been used. Sounds like he has a lousy inspector thats never cemented a fitting together.
I used ABS to PVC transition cement.

Doesn't matter. We would of found a big red tag transition cement or not. Evidently it doesn't matter where
you live so leave well enough alone. Make sure nothing else is tyed into that vent going up when you fill with water.

Latest posts

Back