Pressure tank and shallow well pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Juan

Reaction score
Here's my situation, have a 2 1/2" pipe gravity feeding water down hill (basically a giant puddle fed from a tiny stream). Long story short, the 2" pipe reduces down to 1/2" pex goes to 1 sediment filter the to UV filter, my 4 bedroom home is running off a 2.3 gallon per minute RV pump in the basement... I am in the process of upgrading this 1/2" feed to 1 inch PVC. I have manage to acquire a 42 gallon Flotech pressure tank, off the property the pressure tested good and holds air. I have a Drummond 1 hp shallow well pump I will be using to supply more pressure than the rv pump. The Drummond pump is auto on/off 30/50 psi with a 5 gallon pressure tank, and a Pressure Guage.

My Question Is: If I installed my Drummond pump, Then added My Flotech Pressure tank after that pump would I need to install anything else or could I just add a regular pvc T ?? 🤔

Has anyone done this or know that in theory I won't need to add more parts?
Maybe i will come across a pressure relief valve but as of now finances are an issue. Even for a $50 part...
Also upgrading my 1 tiny sediment filter to - a whole house sediment, a carbon filter and the uv off the 1 inch line. I
I posted this question in a different forum and only got negative comments from the moderator, about how cheap my pump is and how I should go with a better setup on a more expensive pump and a different tank style. I know the pump is cheap but it's what I have along with the tank. Pictures for reference of actual parts I have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240101_175844_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_175844_Chrome~2.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240101_180050_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_180050_Chrome.jpg
    591.3 KB · Views: 0
If your only question is how to add the 42 gallon tank then yes, a PVC tee is all you need.

A 42 gallon pressure tank only holds 10 gallons of water. But like I explained on another forum :rolleyes: that pump is not designed for continuous use. So, it may be detrimental to add another pressure tank, which will require the pump to run longer just to fill the tank. Even though cycling on and off is what destroys most pumps, that pump is not designed to run continuously either. You just have to let it cycle on and off until it quits working, then replace it. The biggest design criteria for that pump is to have a short life and be replaced often. All I said was to save your money for a good system when that one fails in the near future. You can either buy a new 200 dollar pump every year or two, or spend a thousand bucks on a system that will last 30+ years. In the long run people usually spend about 3 times as much on cheap pumps as they would a good system.

But having said that, expensive is not what makes a good pump system. There are also very expensive variable speed type pumps that also do not last very long. Catering to people who throw money at anything that claims to save energy, these systems also need to be replaced often, but are very expensive.

My comments were negative because there is nothing positive to say about that brand of pump. In the 55 years I have been in the pump industry I have helped with well over a million pump systems and I am not known to sugar coat what I say about them. But I wish you more luck than the others I have helped with that pump. A few of them have even added a Cycle Stop Valve to that pump. We will soon see if running continuously with a CSV makes them last any longer than cycling on and off quickly as they usually do. There are other brands of pumps that are similar, but that is the only one I know that says "Not for continuous use". Here is a CSV on a similar pump.
CSV1A with pump tank combo.jpg

Is that first picture a "real deal" or photoshopped ? Is that an open port on the side ?

The Drummond pump has its own 5-gallon pressure tank, which might not be sufficient for your 4-bedroom house needs. Adding the 42-gallon Flotech tank could help maintain more consistent pressure and reduce pump cycling, but you might need a pressure switch and relief valve to control it properly.

A 42 gallon pressure tank only holds 10 gallons of water. That pump already has a 30/50 pressure switch. The larger tank will certainly reduce the cycling compared to a 5 gallon tank that only holds 1 gallon of water. But the pressure will linger at low pressure longer before the pump starts, and the pressure consistently varies from 30 to 50 as water is being used.

Latest posts

Back