Pressfit (manual) or learn to solder shutoffs?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeiam

Reaction score
I did a massive renovation with a friend on my house and basically served as his apprentice...when it came time to do the upstairs, I did about 70-80% of it myself, including basic electrical and plumbing (some of which I learned here, so thank you!). I have a few small jobs I'll need to do, like moving shutoffs down to baseboard in my bathroom to accommodate a smaller vanity (see pic below), and I'd really like to install an outdoor shower this summer and keep it DIY to avoid any unwanted attention from plumbers and the town. I also have a dream of a garage conversion so any and all skills picked up are helpful.

I assisted in several soldering jobs with shutoffs when doing my downstairs and I know it's common to use Presfit now over soldering. Sharkbites? I have no interest in those because they seem janky, but I'm not a pro (why I'm here). Mechanized Pressfit tools are crazy expensive so I'd be looking at grabbing a manual setup for the small household DIY jobs I might encounter...

So, any advice would be welcome here.

Worth it to use Pressfit and a cheaper manual setup (~$200) or just take it outside and practice soldering some shutoffs and elbows! :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 10.59.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 10.59.31 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 11.01.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-14 at 11.01.48 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
You should learn how to solder that way your not dependent on the press method I did see some manual press set ups that had good reviews, the one I was looking at was manual,but hydrolic it looked like pumping a grease gun there are examples on Amazon and u tube, there was one on there that was made for tight spaces ,did you think of PEX,
I never used it until I had a freeze up and and had to move all the water piping which was a few hundred feet ,less expensive,easy to learn, and no fire hazard....but learn how to solder!!!!!

You should learn how to solder that way your not dependent on the press method I did see some manual press set ups that had good reviews, the one I was looking at was manual,but hydrolic it looked like pumping a grease gun there are examples on Amazon and u tube, there was one on there that was made for tight spaces ,did you think of PEX,
I never used it until I had a freeze up and and had to move all the water piping which was a few hundred feet ,less expensive,easy to learn, and no fire hazard....but learn how to solder!!!!!
Cool, thanks! Ok, I will then :) Intrigued by it. I know it's the most reliable.

PEX would be great, and probably the best option for the outdoor shower idea (obviously I'd turn off the water in winter; I'm in NE). And if I ever did the garage renovation, I'd be using PEX to get the water from my house to it (accessory dwellings can't have independent sewer or water lines to the main)

I did a massive renovation with a friend on my house and basically served as his apprentice...when it came time to do the upstairs, I did about 70-80% of it myself, including basic electrical and plumbing (some of which I learned here, so thank you!). I have a few small jobs I'll need to do, like moving shutoffs down to baseboard in my bathroom to accommodate a smaller vanity (see pic below), and I'd really like to install an outdoor shower this summer and keep it DIY to avoid any unwanted attention from plumbers and the town. I also have a dream of a garage conversion so any and all skills picked up are helpful.

I assisted in several soldering jobs with shutoffs when doing my downstairs and I know it's common to use Presfit now over soldering. Sharkbites? I have no interest in those because they seem janky, but I'm not a pro (why I'm here). Mechanized Pressfit tools are crazy expensive so I'd be looking at grabbing a manual setup for the small household DIY jobs I might encounter...

So, any advice would be welcome here.

Worth it to use Pressfit and a cheaper manual setup (~$200) or just take it outside and practice soldering some shutoffs and elbows! :)

Thanks!
Why not use a compression angle stop?, No Solder, no press fit?Compression fitting works great, Or a Compression X MIP and a threaded ball valve.

Why not use a compression angle stop?, No Solder, no press fit?Compression fitting works great, Or a Compression X MIP and a threaded ball valve.
Funny, I never thought of those...I guess they're different than Sharkbites. Actually, I remember using a couple last year for a sink and they've been solid.

I just changed out all the angle stops at a friends house and i used compression. I didnt want to solder in the tight space under the vanity. They work fine and rather those than SharkBite's

Sharkbite and other pressfit similars are great fittings. They must be installed as per instructions at every step, and supported properly and not used underground. I've got them on top floors of high-rises for over 20 years and everyplace in between and have no worries. But need to be professionally and wisely installed.
We love ProPress and rarely solder, but I wouldn't trust off brand equipment for PEX nor Press. Milwaukee, Dewalt, Rigid only.
See elsewhere posts of expansion PEX leaks with chinese manual expander !

Sharkbite and other pressfit similars are great fittings. They must be installed as per instructions at every step, and supported properly and not used underground. I've got them on top floors of high-rises for over 20 years and everyplace in between and have no worries. But need to be professionally and wisely installed.
We love ProPress and rarely solder, but I wouldn't trust off brand equipment for PEX nor Press. Milwaukee, Dewalt, Rigid only.
See elsewhere posts of expansion PEX leaks with chinese manual expander !
Thank you! That's very helpful; I appreciate the feedback...

What do you think about the compression angle stops that some folks referenced above? Similar to sharkbites so probably fine to use where they can be easily accessed, like not in walls, etc.

Latest posts

Back