Possible to extend sink garbage disposal drain pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am installing a water filtration system under my kitchen sink. The filtration system requires a small drainage line to be drilled into the vertical drainage pipe from my disposal to the P-Trap (See attached picture).

image (1).png

Unfortunately my drainage pipe between my disposal and P-Trap is very short. I don't think there is enough room for the saddle bracket to fit. (The red "X" is where it would have to go).

unnamed.png

My question is, would I be able to make the disposal drainage pipe longer to provide enough room to install the drainage saddle bracket? This would lower the P-Trap, so I am wondering if it would position the P-Trap too low from the wall drain opening to be effective?

I asked the company if the drainage line could be installed after the P-Trap on the horizontal pipe, and it would not be correct. If I were able to fit the saddle bracket on the vertical pipe where the red "X" is, the concern is that it could get clogged.

Thank you I appreciate the help!

You could swivel the trap and run a straight piece out of the grinder, that may give you enough room. Do not put it after the trap, sewer gas.
Awesome thanks. I honestly didn't know I could run a straight piece from the disposal. That should do the trick I'll just need to find the right connection to the disposal. Another option I was told was to connect the drain line to the dishwasher drain hose if I add a hard piece. The only thing I'd be worried about with that is the noise of the water draining into the disposal.

You don’t have to install the tee on the disposal pipe, you can and IMO it should be on the other side of the sink away from the disposal.

I'm not understanding your comment, so I doubt the OP does. Please expound a bit.
If the OP has a single bowl sink with disposal then he can disregard my comment.

If he does have a double bowl sink he should make his saddle on the vertical pipe on the opposite side from the disposal.

Looks like the diskposal is trapped seperately. Get a disposal kit and then you can swing that p-trap farther away and then if
need you can turn the disposal so everything lines up

Latest posts

Back