Please help with water softener drain line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Az_newbie

Reaction score
Hello! New here, I hope to get some guidance.

So, we moved to a townhouse, in Phoenix metro area, AZ, that is built in 2016. In the garage, there was a 1” CPVC water loop with a 1/2” drain line right below the loop. The drain line goes through the wall and upstairs and ends right above the laundry drain box. After installing the softener, I discovered that the drain line is ‘clogged’. I checked that the laundry drain box but it was not capped. I used a small compressor to blow some air but the pressure gauge went up pretty quickly so I stopped the compressor. I went up to the attic to see if there’s some sort of shut off valve or any clues, no go.

I hired a plumber to come out, and he refused to do anything with the existing line and he suggested to run a new drain line from the garage all the way up to the attic and down to the laundry box.

I wanted to see if there’s anything I’m missing or I should try before deciding on adding that new drain line. Could it be an old and accumulated cpvc glue that’s blocking this pipe? Additionally, several neighbors have the same setup and their softener drains properly, so I’m really stuck and running out of ideas. I do trust the plumber but again, I’m trying to avoid adding a new line and hoping to find a way to unblock it.

Thanks!

TL;DR: installed a water softener on a 2016-built home, but discovered that the drain line doesn’t work and is blocked somewhere.

What size is the drain line 3/4-1"??? Have you tried a small hand snake , or put a vacuum or maybe vinegar, if the drain is too small a snake could get stuck

Hello! New here, I hope to get some guidance.

So, we moved to a townhouse, in Phoenix metro area, AZ, that is built in 2016. In the garage, there was a 1” CPVC water loop with a 1/2” drain line right below the loop. The drain line goes through the wall and upstairs and ends right above the laundry drain box. After installing the softener, I discovered that the drain line is ‘clogged’. I checked that the laundry drain box but it was not capped. I used a small compressor to blow some air but the pressure gauge went up pretty quickly so I stopped the compressor. I went up to the attic to see if there’s some sort of shut off valve or any clues, no go.

I hired a plumber to come out, and he refused to do anything with the existing line and he suggested to run a new drain line from the garage all the way up to the attic and down to the laundry box.

I wanted to see if there’s anything I’m missing or I should try before deciding on adding that new drain line. Could it be an old and accumulated cpvc glue that’s blocking this pipe? Additionally, several neighbors have the same setup and their softener drains properly, so I’m really stuck and running out of ideas. I do trust the plumber but again, I’m trying to avoid adding a new line and hoping to find a way to unblock it.

Thanks!

TL;DR: installed a water softener on a 2016-built home, but discovered that the drain line doesn’t work and is blocked somewhere.
How long do you estimate the present drain line to be?

Latest posts

Back