Pipe Cement on Ball Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior marbles

Reaction score
In a vertical installation of connecting 3/4"PVC pipe to a ball valve, some of the cement must have dripped down from the joint with the pipe into the ball of the valve and froze it. Trying to turn the handle hard finally disconnected it from the frozen ball. No big deal to replace the valve, but is there a good way to prevent cement (I use Christie's Red Hot Blue) from dripping into the valve and its ball?

Thanks,
JM

Don’t use so much. Bevel the pipe a little before you insert into the valve. Operate the valve several times directiy after you make the glue joint. Send me $50…….😬

Don’t use so much. Bevel the pipe a little before you insert into the valve. Operate the valve several times directiy after you make the glue joint. Send me $50…….😬
I have had a similar problem with pvc unions . I screwed up a couple by putting to much cement on and it getting down on the o-ring .
I hate putting those things in vertically

here is my solution, in two parts:

1. As an anti-seize, spray the ball with silicon spray, then activate the lever a few times, to spread the lubricant

2. Keep the valve open during installation

3, In vertical installations with potential for drip down into the ball, if possible, finish the joint for the upper connection by turning it upside down, and away from the installation location. That way, any excess glue drips away from the valve.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back