No hot water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csats

Reaction score
Hello,
Yesterday our hot water stopped working. I think I've been able to trace it to the circulator pump but not 100% sure. So no hot water coming out of the holding tank. Pipe is ice cold. All pipes coming into and out of tank are cold. Follow pipe from tank to circulator and boiler and it is cold until you get close to circulator. Above circulator it is just warm. I can hold the pipe. At circulator it is very hot to touch and below is very hot to touch. Other 2 circulators for heat are very hot and have very hot water coming out of them. I shut off the both heat and just had hot water circulator going. Could hear the motor going and occasionally heard a clicking sound. Thinking this means the fan inside or pump itself is bad. Hot water tank is calling for hot water. And the light on the boiler is on indicating it is calling for hot water. Could this be a bad circulator pump?

Do you have water at your fixtures or is nothing coming out I
Is the hot water heated by the boiler or is it a regular hot water heater how old is the circulator

Do you have water at your fixtures or is nothing coming out I
Is the hot water heated by the boiler or is it a regular hot water heater how old is the circulator
No hot water coming out of the fixtures. Boiler heats the water and goes into an indirect holding tank. No hot water coming out of the tank.
Not sure how old circulators are. Recently purchased the home.

Is this all of a sudden ,there should be an aquastat yo can turn up or down have some try that while your at the circ. To see if it turns on and off, your impeller may have failed

Is this all of a sudden ,there should be an aquastat yo can turn up or down have some try that while your at the circ. To see if it turns on and off, your impeller may have failed
Yes it was all the sudden. I tried the aquastat and it was calling for hot water as it should. It definitely is the circulator impeller. I can hear it clicking and not working properly. Will have to swap it out with a new one. Thanks for the help!

Back