Musty smell in master shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, this is the 2nd time I tried just putting water in a pitcher both hot and cold and smelling it in a different location and there is no odor. What was strange is when I had the cold water on it was luke warm. Something to do with the Hans Grohe valve I have installed. I am going to eliminate the water as the source of the smell.

My next step is to take a shower with the drain plugged and see if I still smell it. It seems to happen more when there is hot water as opposed to the luke warm water (I couldn't smell it).

OK I put a plug on the drain and couldn't smell it at all!!
I am going to try opening the panel downstairs to let more air in and close the drain on the tub which is next to the shower and see if I still smell it. It is definetly not a water smell issue it is a drain/vent issue.

Hmmm. Problem is still there even after opening the access panel and stopping the tub drain.
I can't access the Ptrap because it is hidden in the floor.

Right now the only thing that gets rid of the smell is if I cover the drain with a plug and that isn't a very long term solution.

Hi, my cheater vent isn't accessable. That is a problem. The only way is to access it from downstairs in a panel and even then you can't fully inspect or get to it. I think they did a poor job on the plumbing on this bathroom remodel. My wife doesn't want to put any more money into fixing it. I guess there is an upside because we have another bathroom close by where I can shower and not smell anything. Just frustrating they couldn't get this right. Seems like it should be fixable.

Hmmm. Problem is still there even after opening the access panel and stopping the tub drain.

I can't access the Ptrap because it is hidden in the floor.

Right now the only thing that gets rid of the smell is if I cover the drain with a plug and that isn't a very long term solution.

Is there water in the p-trap. Shine a flashlight down in the the shower drain but wait for a while after using it. If there is
then maybe you have an anode problem in the water heater.

Hi, my cheater vent isn't accessable. That is a problem. The only way is to access it from downstairs in a panel and even then you can't fully inspect or get to it.
That is a little confusing. The AAV needs to be located downstream of the shower P-trap, above the P-trap, and ideally above the flood rim of the shower base. And the P-trap cannot be more than 24" below the drain.

So, as the AAV access panel is "downstairs", it is obviously not above the flood rim of the shower. And the P-trap must be relatively far below the shower for the access panel to be "downstairs", which may be contributing to your odor issue.

Can you provide some pictures and/or measurements of your drain piping and AAV location?

The studor vent is in this pony wall. How high up, I have no idea but that really wouldn’t matter if the drain isn’t backing up.

Post pics from below when you can.

72EEEA7D-26B6-4345-BAB8-45CF8A4D0A54.jpeg

Here are someIMG_0453.jpg pics from the access panel downstairs. The new studor valve runs right next to the old one that was cut (but not removed because it was anchored in place). There seems to be plenty of air flow to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0458.jpeg
    IMG_0458.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Take the drain cover off in the shower and use a flashlight to look down into the pipe and see if you see water holding there.

Where's the shower drain on those pictures? I see the AAV on a Santee on its back, but no shower drain connection.

Take the drain cover off in the shower and use a flashlight to look down into the pipe and see if you see water holding there.
When I take the drain cover off there is a steep angle. I've run a snake and tube brush down there and it is a sharp angle. Shining a flash light down there wouldn't show much I think.

The studor vent is in this pony wall. How high up, I have no idea but that really wouldn’t matter if the drain isn’t backing up.

Post pics from below when you can.

Right, the studor vent is on a pip that goes up into the pony wall pretty high. I believe almost to the top of the wall.

What is interesting is I believe they cut the old vent line that vented out to the roof but I don't know if they capped it. Would that have anything to do with what is going on? How would I check if they capped it or if moisture is getting in? They patched up the ceiling with new tape and paint so the old vent is not viewable.

Latest posts

Back