Leaking eschutcheon - how to fix this tricky one?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgracey

Reaction score
Hey there! We recently finished a really nice tile job in the shower and I discovered a small pinhole leak in the escutcheon, shown in the picture. This finished part threads into a 1/2" nipple protruding from the wall (and the other side, into the shower arm, also shown). I noticed that the escutcheon has a small spray coming out of the casting side. The shower head arm doesn't thread very deeply into this part, so the hole is not covered by its threads. I have some questions:
- if I uncrew the finished escutcheon plate, and the nipple connection to the brass fitting in the wall is looser than the escutcheon, then the nipple will come off the fitting inside the wall. How to avoid that?
- is there a way to unscrew the escutcheon without taking the nipple behind it out?
- anybody recognize the brand of this finished part, so I can replace it?
Thanks a million. I'm afraid to really gronk on the escutcheon with channel locks in fear of breaking the tile! I assume it's also lefty-loosy, like most threaded parts. Any and all tips are welcomed! - Ken

Attachments

• IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0917.JPG
    IMG_0917.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 0
I identified the escutcheon (a part from "California Faucets"} and it's 1/2" FIP behind. How do I safely remove this?

You could get a 1/2" nipple extractor and stick in the escutcheon to hold back against the nipple it is screwed onto. If the nipple does come with it the wing ell should stay in place, if it was installed correctly.

CT18, thank you very much. I'll get the replacement part, a nipple extractor, and go for it! - Ken

Latest posts

Back